Guilt hurts

Rowan's POV

Everything Kahina said was true and not a single lie in it. I messed up and I realise that. It's like everytime we get closer, there's something to pull us apart. We are in an interval once more.

I don't know where she went and it's been hours. Not to mention the heavy rainfall that comes with it. I fear wherever she is that she is not safe because some vampires here do feast on humans when they want.

I have less than 30 minutes now till I fly to Italy. Me, Henry and my Mother were supposed to visit the high court to discuss the current events. That is today.

I don't have time to find and then talk to her because I know she won't give me an opportunity to talk. She will be shouting at me and not to mention, I don't want to witness her tears any more. Not again.

When she mentioned my father, I couldn't control the anger in me. When it's my mother telling me I'm like him then it doesn't bother me, but it was her saying it that it was different. It broke my heart when I saw tears on her face, when she said that I was responsible for all the pain and suffering in her life. I had already broken her before I even met her.

"Sitting alone in your misery won't make it better brother." I hear Henry's voice behind me.

When Kahina left, I retreated to my office and have been facing the windows ever since. I didn't turn to face him nor did I reply to him.

My heart yearned for the one I wanted. I marked and mated her last night but I didn't turn her, but still I could feel her feelings. I could feel the pain she felt whereas I hid mine from her.

"She's safe. I had Alexander watch her from the shadows. She's still upset and I'm sure she doesn't want to be bothered." He says, his voice getting closer.

"Thank you." I turn my seat to face him. "How is your mate doing?"

"She feels as guilty as you. According to her, Kahina hasn't cried ever since they've been alone. She shut herself out." He replied.

Shutting your feelings down is another form of self torture. It is the worst thing you could do, especially if you choose to ensure other's feelings are more prioritised than your own.

"And that was still my fault."

"I don't get it. If you knew, why didn't you tell, well... anyone?" He asks.

"I didn't want her past to come up. She is still very traumatized by it, I wouldn't tell you anyway because you would tell your mate and we know where it would lead." I reply.

"Okay but, you called her weak. I'm sure those two proved to be anything but weak."

"They are weak. Physically, maybe not but emotionally they are." I say.

"So are you." I lift my eyebrow confused by his words. "No one is emotionally strong Rowan. You just fear that if she's not like us, you can't protect her."

I opened my mouth to say something but the words got caught in my mouth. I don't know how to respond to that. He gets up readying himself to leave.

"Wait!" I stop him before he left. "How do I... Fix this?"

"You don't. You just tell her everything she needs to know. You only have eight days now, you need to earn her trust back. I'll be getting ready." And with that, he left.

I made my way to my mother. There are high chances she knows what happened. She always knows what happens.

When I arrived at her wing, I could smell my sister all over. I walked until I was in front of her door, it wasn't closed so I invited myself in. She was facing the mirror looking as sophisticated as ever.

We are going to Italy for only a day, which means the meeting was tonight. I know she could smell me coming down the hall and that's why she wasn't startled when I invited myself in.

"I'm sure you already know by now." I say first as I sit on a chair by the window.

"Yes." Her reply was short and calm, as if she wasn't bothered at all.

"Do you have anything to say? Like you are disappointed in me." She turned from her mirror and started walking to her bathroom, without replying or giving me a second glance. I was tempted to read her mind then I decided against it.

"At least just say something, mother." I don't like it when people are silent on me, it drives me crazy and that's why I can't help looking into their heads.

"She already said everything I would've. I didn't hear it from another person, I heard it myself. You have broken the one you care for because you were broken by the one you used care for. That is your love life son, it is not something I want to involve myself in." She speaks from the bathroom and then she walks out with her make up done.

"You've involved yourself in my life for centuries and the one time I n-" She didn't let me finish before she spoke above me.

"I have taught you everything you need to know about being a good man!" She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Not a king Rowan, that was your father's job. Clearly he succeeded." Her voice was back to being calm. I think I prefer her shouting at me.

I didn't say anything to her. I didn't have the words nor did I have that energy.

"What I need from you now son is to be a King. When you come back is when you will have a proper conversation with your mate. That is my request to you as your Queen." She says.

"But as your mother, I need you to understand that, that girl is not your follower but your heart. You have too little time yet you hold on to the past. Be honest, there is nothing else she is asking of you." She turned on her heel and headed for the door.

She wants me to be honest with her? Then I would have to apologize all my eternal life. I know Kahina is capable of making me do that and that's just what I'm not ready for.

It's less than ten minutes now till we leave for Italy. I left my mother's chambers to make my way to the elevator. She and Henry can meet me in the doorway.

I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings because my thoughts were occupying me until I bumped into someone. Before I could register anything, that illuminating scent of peppermint and cinnamon invaded my nostrils making my words get caught in my mouth.

"Kahina..." The word left my mouth before I could even think.

Behind her was Alexander. She didn't respond or bother to look at me and just continued to walk away. I watched as she stomped up the stairs to another floor.

"She hasn't spoken to me either. You take care of Italy, I'll make sure she is fine till you get back." I nod at him and he turned to follow her.

I made my way to the elevator and pressed the ground floor button. It's gonna be one hell of a meeting, and I'm angry, tired and I feel like shit. Which means Lucien won't be having the best evening.

...................................................................................

Hey readers! Sorry for the delay but here's another chapter for you(◕ʋ)