the end? | chapter 26 - Cassie + Rafe

My eyes close instantly and my legs no longer hold me up. My body feels weak and I solid at the same time. Still in shock, I try to back away slowly while looking on the ground. I stumble on a branch and fall backwards hitting my head on a stone. Knowing I made a sound I try to get up quickly and run away. But it's too late. I touch my head and look at my hand. I'm bleeding. I try to ignore the massive headache and continue running without looking back. The next thing I know Rafe has got me in his arms and I can't get out. "Shh shh it's okay I gotchu." he's whispering in my ear. "Let go! Let me fucking go!" I'm screaming while fighting my way out of his arms. It's useless. He grips my mouth with his hand and I cant talk now. "Look, whatever you saw over there, I can explain!" Rafe is panting now. I keep trying to get out but make no progress. "Cassie stop! That piece of shit over there screwed up really badly." 

"That piece of shit Rafe, was my father!" my voice is shaking and I can't get my words out. "You let him die, Rafe." I stop.

 "Ward shot my dad! You killed the only family I had! How could you do this! How could you do this to me?!" I'm screaming my lungs out and hitting Rafe all at once.

He loosens his hand and freezes. At this point I'm feeling unconscious and trembling on the ground. Rafe sits down with me while still holding on. 

"What?" he asks.

 My body relaxes and I fall into his arms.

"You are a murderer Rafe Cameron." I exhale and close my eyes.

Rafe

My breathing hardens and everything around me is rotating. Did she just say dad? What did you do Rafe... How could he ever be her father. What the fuck.

I suddenly look at Cassie. She's no longer trying to fight me. In fact, she isn't moving at all. I look down at her and see her head. It's bleeding severely. "Cass, Cassie!" I try to wake her up. "Cassie wake up wake up wake up!" I'm screaming and sobbing. I can't lose her. I need to take her to the hospital. But if I enter the hospital drenched in blood, it will do no good. Fuck it I couldn't care less about anything. She needs to go to the hospital. 

"Rafe, what the fuck is going on here!" dad shouts from behind. 

"Dad... Did you know he was Cassie's father? Did you know I killed her father? Am I a murderer dad? What am I?" my voice is shaking and I can't talk properly. 

"We do not need to talk about this right now Rafe. She saw it didn't she? Don't lie to me!" he's screaming.

"She hit her head dad, she needs to go to the fucking hospital!" I scream back at him.

"There's only one place she's going to and you know it. Now get rid of her and clean the mess. Don't forget her dad. Oh, and if you try to take her to the hospital, I will kill her with my bare hands." he says and looks me in the eyes. He then enters to his car and drives away.

I'm still on the ground holding her. Her blood is all over me. I get up while still holding her in my arms. I call backup to take the body and drive away. 

...

I take care of her head while she's still unconscious. I tie her hands to the wall and take her phone away. 

I'm so sorry for doing this to you Cassie. You deserve the world and this is all I could give you. I promise this is all going to get better. We will get through this together. I kiss her on the forehead and lock the door behind me. This place is safe and forgotten by Ward. There's no way he'll even be suspicious. 

I get out and breathe in the fresh air. I can't breathe though. Not when I know she's not okay. I am gonna fix all of this. How was I stupid enough to not suspect it was her dad. The first time Ward told me about her. When he told me he needed me to take her out or some shit. How could I not put the 2+2 together?

Overthinking causes me to lose my shit. My brain explodes and I don't hold back. I shout out my lungs with every single nerve in my body.

 I shout out my lungs with every single nerve in my body