Red Dress .45

Valerie

I was in a world of firsts. Patrick and I have been trying our best to make things work but time hasn't been on our side. After a long trip away he was back in Chicago. Tonight there was a charity ball he had to attend but wanted me to be his plus one. We haven't had a public appearance yet, Ada couple or even as friends, so this would be the first.

In a bold decision I decide to step away from black for this event. This was for the heart association so I figured we can get some red in my wardrobe. Spice it up a little. Patrick's sister helps me pick out a dress and Erica tells me how to do my hair. It was a long few hours but I think I got it figured out.

Once I was ready I look in the mirror and I almost didn't recognize myself. I never thought I would be in a position like this. Figured I would spend my life in black trying to blend into the shadows. Now here I am in a red sparkly dress trying to figure out if it was too late to back out now.

I get a text from Patrick that he was on his way up so I pack up my things I used to get ready

I get a text from Patrick that he was on his way up so I pack up my things I used to get ready. He lets himself in and I go to the door to meet him.

I get out of my room before we both come to a stop

I get out of my room before we both come to a stop. Neither of us knowing what to say or to think. I've never seen him in a suite like this. I saw him in suites like what he wears to the planes or when he gets home from a game. They were always black or blue or some plain three piece. This suit had the same patterns as my dress in red and he looked sharp. While my dress was red with a darker design his suit was black with a red design, they complimented each other well. I have a feeling his sisters has something to do with this and they haven't steered us wrong yet.

"Wow" I gasp as he smiles.

"I was going to say the same. Val I've never seen you like this before... I don't even know what to say" he claims.

"That bad" I ask.

"Quite the opposite, really. And don't the wrong idea here. I always loved you in black. I think black is suiting for you because it enhances all the other colors you project out into the world. Makes them brighter just as you shine light on others. I think it brings out the green in your eyes and it makes you happy. While people think you wear black because you're emo or depressed I always thought it was to hide your shine. You're afraid to stand out so you try to move in the shadows. It's easier to do so when you're always in black. But I love that about you. How you like to let others stand out and how you are always there like a shadow.

That being said, you in red is a whole another story. The red shows how bold you are in the way you love. You don't back down from anybody and you're not afraid to be yourself. While you look delicate like a rose you bare your thorns. You cut them down to stop others from being hurt even though they hurt you.

You're always a sight to see. Something that even the stars would be jealous of the way you shine. No matter how much you hide in black you look stunning. And this red dress... it takes my breath away" he claims.

At this point my face was a red as the dress. He was always a sweet talker, said the right things at the right time. But there was something about these butterflies he is giving me now, it felt like I had wings too.

"You always talk like this to your girlfriends" I tease.

"Not really. I mean I like to think I treated everyone right when they stood by me. But I have never had something quite as incredible as you standing before me. This would be a first" he claims.

"Nice to know" I smile.

We take off and make it to the event. As soon as we walk in people flood to Patrick. I knew to a certain extent what he means to this city. I know what he has done for all the people who call themselves hockey fans is more than I will ever truly comprehend. Even fans of other team and other sports respect him. He's just one of those people where it's a once in a lifetime kind of career. So my job tonight was to stay by his side and admire him like most. Listen to stories and wonder how the hell I ended up here.

Eventually Patrick pulls himself away from everyone to share a dance with me. He hasn't left me out of his sight all night. And dancing wasn't something I planned on doing but he has never steered me wrong. So I let his hands fall to my waist as I rest my hands on his chest. He just smiles down at me not saying a word.

"Have I told you how stunning you are" he asks making me roll my eyes.

"A few times, yes" I chuckle.

"Thank you for doing all of this for me. I know it's out of your comfort zone but I appreciate your effort, more than I can explain " he says.

"Love is sacrifice. You do a lot for me, this is nothing" I insist.

"How are you doing" he wonders. It's been a rough few days but I've been making it through.

"Sometimes I feel okay, like I have my feet on solid ground. Most of the time I feel like I lost all my senses except for touch. I can't hear the warning signs, can't see things go wrong. No sense of smell to alert me when something is coming. All I can feel is the ground shaking beneath me. I never know when the floor will give. It's just the ground shaking and me preparing for it to fail me as it has so many times before. I used to be so scared. They only thing I could feel was everything falling apart underneath me. All I could do was wait for it to take me under.

But you've been my eyes so I can see that I'm in no danger. My ears to listen to what life has been trying to tell me all along. I am no longer blind to love or deaf to happiness. I see you, I hear you and I love you, Patrick" I say.

I could see his eyes turn into the shape of hearts as he smiles as big as ever. You couldn't tell we were in a room full of people by the way he was looking at me. But that's how it's always been. To most everyone I'm invisible but to him... I was all he sees.

"Every day I thank god for you. I smile because you're in my life and I get the pleasure of loving you. Even times like this I know you don't really want to be you're still here do your can be with me. I really appreciate that" he says.

"Anything for you" I promise.