Come On Over, Valerie .43

Patrick

As January rolls on by my family comes out to visit. They usually come over once a month for a few days to mooch off of me and give me a headache. Now that Valerie and I are together it's ten times worse. My sisters won't leave us alone and my parents insist that Valerie is always around.

The thing about her is that she's a great partner but she is still someone who operates on her own. She doesn't know how to do it any other way. In a way she's perfect for me because I can go and I won't feel as bad because I know she needs that time to herself to collect her thoughts, focus on her feelings. We use that time to focus on ourselves while realizing how much we miss each other.

My family... they don't get that. They're suffocating and they think that we have to be together all the time. Valerie doesn't have a family like that, in her eyes she doesn't have a family at all. Never had that feeling of having to be together. My family doesn't really get it but they get the general idea.

So we have a nice meal at my place and Valerie joins us. As soon as she walks in the doors my sisters take her over and I try to pry them away. But I'm not match for them. I was grossly outnumbered and unless Valerie gives me the code I won't go save her.

I sit to the side and watch like always. I never was much of a talker despite what many might think. So I man the music and nurse a beer.

"You gonna come out and talk to us" Erica teases as she grabs herself a drink.

"You gonna give me my girlfriend back" I counter.

"Nope" she smiles.

"There's your answer" I scoff.

"Why do you hate it so much when we hang out with her" she accuses.

"Because you guys like to embarrass me. I figured if I ignore you then I won't know how bad it is" I say.

"We actually haven't brought you up once" she claims as I raise a eyebrow.

"Then what the hell are you talking about over there" I wonder. Because if they're not all giving me a hard time I don't really know what they're saying.

"We're planning a vacation... without you" she informs me.

"Excuse me" I ask.

"She told us about your trip to the mountains and we told her we can do it better" she claims.

"She really told you about the mountains" I smile.

"Yeah, she did. She said it was the best days of her life. She doesn't talk a lot, and never about herself. But something about the mountains gets that girl going. So I figured you wouldn't mind if we stole her for a while and saw some mountains a little closer to home" she explains.

"That's really sweet of you guys, thank you" I nod.

"She's actually really cool when you get to know her. I know we had a rough start and I still don't understand what it is going on between you two. But I've only heard her talk about two things she loved, and that's you and the mountains" she says.

"I'll take it" I laugh.

She returns to the girls and I start to think to myself. I don't know what Valerie thinks about my sisters, about going on a trip with them. Yeah she likes my sisters and she's been wanting to go back to the mountains, but the trip we went on was the only one she has ever been on. I know how extra my siblings are and I don't want heart to feel stuck with them and nowhere to go. There's nothing I can do to keep her from the world, there will be times she will step out on her own and all I can do is watch from the side like I am today. That doesn't stop me from wanting to keep anything from hurting her.

Right before the food was done Jackie comes barging in to the kitchen with Valerie's wrist in her hand.

"What is wrong with you" I ask my sister. I've never seen Valerie look so confused in my life.

"Give me your phone, now" she demands.

"For what" I ask.

Before I can even finish the question the phone was being snatched out of my hand. Jackie uses her free hand to type some things in and the song changes.

"Val has never heard Valerie by Amy Winehouse. Even if that wasn't her name that should be a federal offence" my sister proclaims.

"But I don't listen to music. Not unless Patrick is playing it" Valerie admits.

"So it's your fault" Jackie accuses.

I can't win with them. I swear.

"Well, sometimes I go out by myself
And I look across the water
And I think of all the things of what you're doing
In my head I paint a picture

Since I've come home
Well, my body's been a mess
And I miss your ginger hair
And the way you like to dress
Oh, won't you come on over?
Stop making a fool out of me
Why don't you come on over, Valerie?
Valerie

Did you have to go to jail?
Put your house out up for sale?
Did you get a good lawyer?
I hope you didn't catch a tan,
Hope you find the right man
Who'll fix it for you
Are you shopping anywhere?
Change the color of your hair
And are you busy?
Did you have to pay that fine
That you were dodging all the time?
Are you still dizzy?"

Music didn't mean much to Valerie. She has songs she likes but she didn't have a song. Though from the look in her face this might be her song. Something she will listen to make her happy. Something she relates to or admires. I think everyone needs a song. And I think her having one proves she's grown so much in her time with me. She doesn't need my protecting. Just my love.

And she will always have that.

"Since I've come home
Well, my body's been a mess
And I miss your ginger hair
And the way you like to dress
Oh, won't you come on over?
Stop making a fool out of me
Why don't you come on over, Valerie?
Valerie

Well, sometimes I go out by myself
And I look across the water
And I think of all the things of what you're doing
In my head I paint a picture
Since I've come home
Well, my body's been a mess
And I miss your ginger hair
And the way you like to dress
Oh, won't you come on over?
Stop making a fool out of me
Why don't you come on over, Valerie?
Valerie
Why don't you come on over, Valerie?"