Chapter 48 - Home with Lori

Three weeks later...

Camila was relaxing on the couch waiting for Lauren to arrive home with Lori from school. Other than cuddling in bed with Lauren at night, this was Camila's favorite part of the day. Lori was usually in a good mood upon arriving home and would tell Camila about whatever caught her fancy that day. They would have a snack together and draw or play a game. Lauren would sometimes join in but would often leave them for some time alone.

The door opened and Lori ran excitedly to the couch, grinning. She jumped up next to Camila and plopped onto her lap.

"Lori, be careful!" Lauren said sternly.

"Guess what?" Lori asked, smiling.

"What, little one?" Camila asked, grinning.

"I got to paint outside today!" Lori said.

"Outside?" Camila asked, "That's crazy. Are you sure?"

"YES!" Lori said, nodding her head enthusiastically, "Miss Peggy let us paint on the ground."

"Well, that sure sounds like fun," Camila said, "I wish I could go to your school."

Lori looked at Camila with a confused expression, "No, you're old."

"Hey, I'm not old!" Camila said, giggling and giving Lori a tickle, making her laugh.

When Lori settled down she looked at Lauren, "Can we have a snack, Momma?"

"I'm cutting up some apples already," Lauren answered, looking out at them from behind the counter.

"Apples are my favorite," Camila said, smiling.

"You certainly have turned over a whole new leaf if apples are your favorite snack," Lauren said, chuckling.

"Hey, I've been working very hard on my core strength," Camila said, then she looked at Lori, "That means making my tummy really strong so I don't have to use my leg as much."

"So you have to eat apples?" Lori asked, scrunching up her nose in confusion.

"I have to eat lots of fruits and veggies and food that's good for me," Camila answered.

Lauren walked over with a tray of cut apples and put it down.

"I'm a big fan of your new core muscles," Lauren said, winking at Camila, "And I hate to ruin your diet, but I'm exhausted. Do you mind if we order out tonight?"

"Exhausted? Pffft," Camila said, shaking her head dramatically, "Just because you drive Lori to school and pick her up, and you teach two classes, and you drive me to all my appointments, and you do all the cooking and cleaning? I don't get it!"

"Let's get tacos!" Lori suggested excitedly.

"I guess we could do that," Lauren said, "If it's okay with you, Camz."

"Let's get Santa Fe," Camila suggested, "I'll take the ceviche and we can get some guacamole to all share."

"Okay, I'll order in a bit," Lauren said happily.

"Can I draw?" Lori asked.

"Of course, come to the table," Lauren said.

"Are you coming?" Lori asked, looking at Camila.

"I'm going to talk to your mom about something," Camila said, "You start without me."

Lauren took out the supplies and Lori sat down and started working on a picture. Lauren went back to the sofa and plopped next to Camila and cuddled into her side. Camila draped her arm around Lauren and gave her a quick kiss.