Chapter 4: Campus meeting

Lauren walked out from teaching her first class and looked around the grassy quad outside of her classroom. She walked to an empty table shaded by an oak tree and sat down. She took a sip of the coffee she had served herself in the faculty lounge and grimaced. She decided she might take a walk to the student union the next day to see if the coffee shop there was any better. She opened her phone to check on the news and pass the time when she heard a voice.

"Lauren?" Camila said, walking up to the table with a shy smile.

"Hey there," Lauren said happily, "It's Camila, right?"

"Yeah," Camila said, "What are you doing here?"

"I teach chemistry," Lauren said, "I only teach two classes and I have this irritating 45-minute break in between so I decided to get some fresh air."

"Mind if I join you?" Camila asked.

"Please," Lauren said happily, motioning for Camila to sit.  Camila plopped down across the picnic-style table and dropped her large satchel down beside her.

"Art supplies," Camila said, glancing at the bag, "I'm taking a painting class."

"Really?" Lauren asked, sounding interested then glancing at her watch, "But the next classes don't start for 35 minutes."

"First day," Camila said, "I wanted to make sure I was on time."

Lauren giggled, "Well then, you're doing better than quite a few of my students already."Lauren took another sip of her coffee then blanched and put it down.

"That bad?" Camila asked, chuckling.

"Awful, it's from the faculty lounge," Lauren said, "With only two classes I don't have a personal office here."

"There's a coffee shop in the union," Camila suggested.

"I may try that tomorrow, or bring my own," Lauren said, "I'm just a coffee and cream girl – it should be easy enough. I'm not sure what this is – but it should be thrown out entirely."

"No sugar?" Camila asked, shaking her head and grimacing.

"Good coffee doesn't need sugar," Lauren answered, smiling.

"All coffee needs sugar," Camila said, grinning.

"So, painting, huh?" Lauren asked, interested, "Just a hobby or what?"

"Yeah, I used to love it as a kid," Camila said, "I haven't painted in years. I thought it might be fun to pick it up again."

"Lori loves to draw and paint," Lauren said, "I'm terrible at it."

"Well, I have one of her originals," Camila said, with a sly grin, "It's quite nuanced."

Lauren let out a loud, hearty laugh, and Camila could feel herself smiling. The sound of Lauren's laugh filled her with a feeling she hadn't felt in a long time.  She felt light.  She felt hopeful.

"That one was particularly awful," Lauren said, still chuckling, "I couldn't even tell for sure that it was an animal.  Maybe she got her love of art from her father and her talent level from me.  Poor child."

"So where is she when you're working?" Camila asked.

"She goes to the Little Red Schoolhouse for pre-school," Lauren said, sighing, "I pick her up at two."

"Does she like it?" Camila asked.

"Yes, thank god," Lauren said, "The first day was tough for both of us, but she's doing well and I've stopped having panic attacks when I drop her off."