Chapter 35 - End of Thanksgiving

Dinah pulled the car into the driveway at Normani's house and glanced over. Ruby was already out of the back seat heading into the house. It was nearly ten and they were all tired from the long day and the heavy meal.

"Grab the leftovers for us and come in for a minute?" Normani requested.

"Sure," Dinah answered, smiling softly.

Dinah walked into the house and put everything into the refrigerator then turned to find Ruby already changed into her pajamas. Ruby surprised Dinah by walking over and giving her a hug. Dinah embraced her and caught Normani's eye, smiling.

"I had a great time today," Ruby said, "Thank you."

"Me too," Dinah said, "I'm glad you came."

Ruby let go and walked over and gave her mom a quick hug.

"Good night, sweetie," Normani said, giving her a peck on the cheek, "Love you."

"Night, Mom," Ruby answered.

Ruby walked into the hall and they heard her bedroom door close behind her. Normani walked over to Dinah and wrapped her arms around her and laid her head on Dinah's shoulder. Dinah held her close, relaxing into the embrace.

"Eliza told me you hadn't used the telescope since your dad died," Normani said softly, her voice cracking slightly.

"Is that what has you all cuddly?" Dinah asked, pulling back and looking at Normani.

Normani buried her head back into the crook of Dinah's neck and Dinah held her and scratched her back softly. Dinah finally sighed and led Normani to the sofa. They sat snuggled close together, Normani's legs draped over Dinah's lap.

"I didn't want to use it without him," Dinah said quietly, "But tonight, it felt okay again. When I was explaining it to Ruby, I could feel him there. For the first time, I understood what it was like for him to teach us."

"D, you're going to make a great mom one day," Normani sighed out, rubbing Dinah's arm.

Dinah took a deep breath. She thought of her conversations with Camila and Eliza. She knew how she felt about Normani. She was sure. She wanted so badly to just take the leap for once in her life, but she couldn't seem to get the words out.

"D, are you okay?" Normani asked, feeling Dinah tense beside her.

"I want to be a mom with you," Dinah blurted out.

Normani looked at Dinah tenderly, staying quiet for so long that Dinah was sure she had screwed up.

"I want to believe what you just said," Normani answered, her voice just above a whisper, "But it sounds like it pained for you to say it."

Dinah took a deep breath and turned her body, gently placing her hand on Normani's neck.

"I love you, Mani," Dinah said, her voice calmer and stronger, "I'm not one to jump into anything quickly or rashly. I tend to take things really, really slowly. But I know how I feel about you, and about Ruby. I love you."

Normani's eyes were filled with tears as she moved forward and caught Dinah's lips in a tender passionate kiss. When they both needed to take a breath, Normani pulled back and looked at Dinah.

"I love you too, D," Normani said softly, "Honestly, if it were just about me, I'd ask you to stay here tonight and never leave. I'm that sure, but we've only been dating a couple of months and I have to put Ruby first."

"Of course," Dinah said immediately, her eyes lowering slightly, "I understand."

"Her soccer team is off for the holiday weekend," Normani said, picking up Dinah's chin so that they were looking at one another again, "One of the moms decided to have a party and sleep over tomorrow. I'm dropping Ruby off at 4:00. Before she goes, I'll talk to her about us. Maybe you could come by around 4:30 and I'll let you know how it goes?"