06 | Desserts and Dead Bodies

Baking was your thing, and you soon realized that baking was definitely not Xiao's

You shook your head as Xiao rushed over in a panic, "Oh my Archons, just get the paper towels"

"I told you this would be a bad idea" he frowned.

Even though you both were only trying to make an easy recipe of sugar cookies, Xiao seemed to struggle at everything you instructed him to do.

Your kitchen was now in a mess. Flour was everywhere, bowls and bags scattering the entire counter and tables.

"Let's just try something else" You began to pack away the ingredients, "Also, you don't like sweet things right? What's your favourite food then?"

Xiao glanced at your powdered hands before answering.

"Almond Tofu."

"Almond Tofu? Hmm" You dropped some of the ingredients you were holding onto on the countertop and flipped through a cookbook you found from a random cabinet, "Hey, this is a sweet!"

"It's not really the flavour, I like the texture more"

You began searching through your fridge and cupboards for the ingredients as Xiao approached the open cookbook to read the instructions.

He scanned the words, "It says we have to set it in the fridge overnight"

"It's fine" you placed two clean bowls in the middle of the table, "We can finish making this later. This recipe seems really easy, anyway"

You began to work away pouring milk, sugar and almond milk together and whisking it in a heated saucepan. Sprinkling the gelatin in the pan from one of the bowls, you stirred the mixture, making sure that liquid doesn't boil so the gelatin could stay strong.

Xiao poured some of your ingredients into another pan and every so often mixed it around with a wooden spoon- you assigned him this role specifically so he couldn't burn down the kitchen. This was the sauce.

Beginning to drift away from reality, you thought out loud to your companion,

"Did you know that almond tofu isn't actually tofu? They only named it because of the texture" You told him, "Tofu isn't supposed to be sweet either"

As you rambled on about random tofu facts you didn't know you remembered, Xiao couldn't help but focus on you, and you only. What a strange person, he thought.

He focused on your crafty fingers, clutching tightly on the moving whisk.

He focused on your eyes, head tilted down and spiraling irises never seeming to look anywhere else except the pan.

Then, he focused on your lips. Your lips that opened and closed as you spoke in your upbeat voice. He never seemed to understand why you were so nice to him, even though you didn't know his real identity- much less anything else about him.