Chapter 17 - The Afterglow

Stretching slowly, I feel a warm body beneath mine and my eyes flutter open as I yawn loudly. A small smile spreads across my lips when I glance around, and notice that I am laying on top of Roman's chest and his arms are languidly wrapped around my naked waist. Closing my eyes once more, I bask in the moment and tighten my grip on his body. In response his arms shift, rubbing my back soothingly. I feel him press a kiss to the top of my hair, humming gently.

"Good afternoon" He smiles warmly at me when I sit up lazily. I run my hand through my knotted hair, yawning and stretching languidly.

"Good afternoon to you too" I reply, swiftly covering my bare chest with my quilt and blushing heavily as his eyes roam over my body. Roman props himself up on one elbow casually and places a hand on my cheek, stroking the flushed skin affectionately. His lips quirk up into a half smile whilst his eyes gaze at me. The silence surrounding us is comfortable and easy like the eye of a storm.

"I love you" He whispers huskily, placing a gentle kiss to my cheek. My smile widens greatly and my cheeks burn brightly.

"I love you too" I respond, leaning towards him and pressing my lips to his. His arms shift to my waist and drag my body closer to his whilst I take his face in my small hands. Our lips remain connected. We lay like this for what seems like forever; just pressed together snugly and cosily. All of my worries and bad memories fade into nothingness, until only Roman and I remains. Us. In our own little bubble. A safe haven in which the world can't touch us. It's as if I'm floating on cloud nine with only him. Complete and unadulterated ecstasy flows through my veins along with an overwhelming rush of security.

A sudden knock from my bedroom door causes us both to jolt out of our moment, dragging us back to the harshness of reality. The real world. Our lips part unwillingly and I sit up swiftly, swinging my legs over the side of the mattress and standing on my bare feet. Quickly, I collect my clothing from the floor and hurriedly dress myself. Just as I tug my t-shirt over my head another knock emanates from the wooden door.

"One second" I call out to whomever is waiting behind the door, glancing at Roman whom is now fully dressed and casually scrolling through his phone on my bed. "Psst. Roman" I whisper in a bid to get his attention. When he finally looks up at me I gesture to the open door of my wardrobe and he lazily stands, stretching languidly. I stomp my foot and grunt angrily at him, compelling him to hastily position himself in the wardrobe before quietly shutting the door.

Tidying my hair somewhat, I unlock my bedroom door and open the door to reveal my mother, standing with her arms folded stiffly and anger radiating off of her. Brushing past me, she stomps into my room and stops in the centre of the carpet. I turn to face her and wish I hadn't. Anger ripples off of her as she stands there with a look of disapproval etched into her facial features.

"Why didn't you go to school today?" She asks, sternly. I blink rapidly whilst she stares at me and I attempt to formulate a decent lie.

"I missed the bus and I couldn't find Theodore. I didn't want to disturb you at work, so I stayed at home and finished my English literature essay" I speak, hoping that my excuse sounds somewhat believable.

"What about Roman? Couldn't he have given you a lift to school?" She inquires, tilting her head slightly in an attempt to decipher whether I'm lying or not.

"We haven't been speaking recently" I reply sheepishly, kicking at the carpet with my toes. "We had a disagreement, so we're taking a break" I add, not technically lying because this did actually happen. Mum lets out a sigh of exasperation before walking past me and leaving the room.

Once the door clicks shut Roman stumbles out of my wardrobe and collapses onto the messy mass of sheets and quilts that my bed currently is. I laugh quietly, walking over to the bed and perching on the edge of the bed next to his head. He mumbles something into the sheets. The is incoherent due to the fact that he is laying with his face pressed into the mattress.

"What was that?" I ask, giggling quiescently whilst running my hands through his brown locks. He turns his head to the side so that his emerald eyes are staring up at me.

"You're sexy when you lie to your mother" He smirks minimally, placing his left hand on my knee.

"You were hiding in my wardrobe, how could you see me?" I question, blushing intensely under his longing stare.

"You sounded sexy" He replies, sticking his tongue out in a childish manner. I chuckle helplessly in response and brush his messy hair out of his face. His fingers nonchalantly play with the rip on the knee of my skinny jeans whilst he continues to gaze up at me happily.

"What?" I laugh, uncomfortable under his constant contemplation.

"You're beautiful. I like looking at beautiful people and things" He replies and slowly rolls over onto his back, still keeping his eyes fixed upon me. My stomach flips momentarily and my chest constricts as many emotions flood through my entirety. I beam contently down at him and press a gentle kiss to his forehead.

"Is that why you spend so much time looking in the mirror?" I ask, chortling as a small pout makes itself present upon his plump lips. "I'm joking, Roman. But you are beautiful" I add after having calmed myself a little. Roman nods in understanding before smirking devilishly up at me.

"I'm too hot. Hot damn. Call the police and the fireman" He sings loudly, dancing awkwardly on his back. I start laughing shamelessly and collapse backwards onto my quilt, chuckling gleefully.

A/N: Hi, sorry it took so long. Exams are so fucking shit. I had the flu as a result of them (proof that school is bad for your health). I hope you enjoy the story so far and please feel free to comment any constructive criticism or ideas that you have. I'm an open to any suggestions you guys have, though I have something big planned. Love you guys, thanks for sticking with me so far. TTFN xx