Ch 1: The Story Begins

It was a normal day for Ivy Bucket

It was a normal day for Ivy Bucket. She works at the town's bakery and sometimes the grocery store if she has to. Ivy loved working for Mrs. Robbins at her family bakery. At the grocery store she works in the front of the store as a cashier which doesn’t mind, since people adore her.

But Ivy prefers to work at the bakery since she has a great relationship with her boss and Janet sees Ivy as a daughter figure, and even treated Charlie like her own son whatever he came in to wait for his sister. She was always willing to let a box of homemade pretzels go home to the Bucket family.

Ivy always felt guilty for the fact that she never paid for one, but Mrs. Robbins assured her that it was fine. At least she has to paid for groceries at her second job.

Ivy is a very hard-working girl who has two jobs but she’s mostly working at the bakery. The Buckets weren’t the wealthiest family in town; they barely even got by.

A bell above the door rang, indicating that a customer walked through the door. Ivy, who was in the middle of rolling some piece of dough, looked up to see that her brother had entered the small bakery.

"Hey, Charlie!" Ivy greeted him with a smile. Charlie always stopped by after school to wait for Ivy to finish her shift. They always walked home together. Sometimes Hannah and Daniel join them after shifts at their separate jobs they have.

Charlie smiled at his beloved sister. "Afternoon, Ivy." He took a seat at a table close to the big window.

Mrs. Robbins emerged from the kitchen. "Is that my dear boy?" She said, her face covered in flour. Mrs. Robbins grinned when she saw Charlie. She walked over to him and ruffled his hair. "Hello, dear Charlie! How are you today?"

"I’m fine, Mrs. Robbins." Charlie smiled at the woman. "How are you?"

"Couldn’t be better, Charlie! How about a muffin?" Mrs. Robbins always offered Charlie a piece. "I’ve got a nice piece of blueberry with your name on it!"

"Thank you." He said politely.

Ivy smiled at her brother. "Make sure not to spoil dinner. I have to pick up some groceries, on our way out."

"I won’t. I promise." Charlie said to her. Mrs. Robbins brought the muffin over to the table and set it in front of him. She even gave him a cup of hot chocolate.

"It’s a bit cold out today. Thought you might like some." Mrs. Robbins winked. Charlie thanked her yet again, and began eating the muffin. He took slow bites out of it, savouring the warmth from the pastry.

Ivy has finished with the dough, and was ready to move onto cleaning the dishes. It would be her last task for the day. Ivy was ready to move onto cleaning the dishes. It would be her last task for the day. She started scrubbing away at the dishes when Mrs. Robbins approached her. "Ivy dear, that duo is back and they’re asking for you."

Ivy wiped her hands on her apron and peered into the dining room. She saw a blonde haired man and woman, around her age, sitting at the table with Charlie. That man and woman was Daniel and Hannah Collins, twin sister and brother "Oh, hey guys. Hold on, I’m almost done my shift."

Ivy finished her dishes and headed out the kitchen to the dining area. She noticed the bag beside Daniel who was sitting beside Charlie. "What’s that?" Ivy asked, gesturing the bag.

"Your groceries." Hannah stated.

Ivy’s eyes widened and heart softened by her friends words. "You guys didn’t have to, you know." She said in a soft tone.

"We know. But we wanted to anyway, so you don’t have to get them before night time." Daniel said with a smile.

Ivy smiled and hugged Daniel then Hannah which they hugged back with a smile. "Thank you." Ivy whispered in Hannah's ear. Hannah nods to her and then looked at Charlie with a soft smile. "Ready to go, Charlie?" She asked.

Charlie put his head in his hands with a blushing smile and giggled. "Yeah, let's go." Ivy smirked since she knew Charlie has a crush on her friend which she finds adorable.

"Let me get my jacket and we’ll go." Ivy said getting her jacket from the coat rack in the back of the store and putting it on they begin to head out.

Charlie went into the kitchen

Charlie went into the kitchen. Mrs. Robbins stops the blond and brunette duos. "And I’ll send you home with another box of pretzels for your family."

"Oh, please, Mrs. Robbins! I can’t let you do that!" Ivy pleaded with her. "I know business hasn’t been what it used to be these days and I-"

"It’s alright, dear." Mrs. Robbins assured her. She made her way into the kitchen.

"I guess we’re bringing pretzels home for dessert tonight." Ivy sighed huffing. She can never win argument with Janet Robbins.

As if on cue, Mrs. Robbins came out with the box of sugary covered pretzels. "One box of half a dozens of pretzels for the Bucket family." She gave the box to Charlie. She then reached into her pocket and pulled out some money. "And buy yourself a loaf of bread. Something to go with that cabbage soup. But I’m pretty sure the Collins have that covered, am I right?" Janet smiled at the young adults.

"We actually did, ma'am." Hannah smiled at the owner. Well one of the owners. Since her and her husband own the store that was originally Janet's father bakery and when he passed away he handed the business to her and her husband.

"Well, I guess you two bested me to it again." Janet said with a sly smile.
Charlie gave an appreciative smile to the woman. "Thank you, Mrs. Robbins."

"It’s my pleasure, Charlie! At least someone appreciate my gratitude." Mrs. Robbins says that sentence to Ivy who sarcastically rolled her eyes and chuckled. "Please say hello to your parents and grandparents for me, yes?"

"We will Mrs. Robbins." Ivy said. "Thank you." She grabbed Charlie's hand and Daniel grabbed the bag of groceries for the family and the four of them left the cafe.

Mrs. Robbins watched them walk away with a sad smile on her face. Her shop wasn’t going to last much longer, and she knew Ivy needed the money. Mrs. Robbins didn’t know what she was going to tell the poor girl.

But little did anyone know, that the Bucket's luck was about to change.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🍫 *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Words; 1, 118