𝟎𝟎𝟗 • 𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐞

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙎𝙊𝙉𝙂: 𝗶 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗸 𝗵𝗲 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄𝘀 𝗯𝘆 𝘁𝗮𝘆𝗹𝗼𝗿 𝘀𝘄𝗶𝗳𝘁

'  He got that boyish look that i like in a man
I am an architect, i'm drawing up the plans
It's like i'm seventeen, nobody understands
No one understands' 

IT WAS THE first day in a long time that Cassidy had slept in. She had never set her alarm after the night before, so she wasn't jolted awake at a scarily early hour to go on her morning jog. It was peaceful to sleep in, to let herself rest for once. It was the first time in a while that she felt truly rested without a runner's high and a full glass of coffee to get her moving. The sun shone through her closed curtains, painting patches of her bedroom golden with daylight. It was beautiful in its undisputed simplicity, fostering a moment of relaxation in the sun-kissed silence. She rolled out of bed with a yawn and slowly made her way to the living room where Bradley was lounging on the couch, staring up the ceiling as she made her way into the room. 

"Good morning," she greeted and he turned to face her and sat up slowly. A smile spread ever so slightly across his face as she slumped down in the window seat with her knees up, watching him from across the room. He leaned on the armrest as he propped himself up, the morning sunlight bathing the entire room in a glow that made his features shine as her shadow partially blocked the daylight as she sat in front of the window.

"Morning," he answered, rubbing his eyes as he turned to her. "Are you feeling better?" She smiled and nodded truthfully. She was thankful for all of it. Thankful for him. Thankful for the sun, for the light that lit him up in her eyes. 

"Are you?" she asked, hoping his answer would be the same. And it was, causing her smile to only grow. A matching one appeared on his face, warming her heart a bit. Silence settled quite comfortably on the room. Him and her. Her and him. That was all she needed then and there. All she wanted in that moment. She tore her eyes away as her phone lit up in her hands. She checked the message that appeared and let out a soft, "Oh." It prompted Bradley to look up at her in concern, but she shook it away. "Maverick canceled training for the day. We're free," she added with a hint of sarcasm. 

On the one hand, Cassidy was thrilled. She didn't have to watch Bradley suffer with the memories infiltrating his mind and she would get a day of peace from the training. On the other hand, it meant that the deadline and the mission date was crawling closer each hour, and it had so far been impossible to complete any of Maverick's tasks that he set in order to succeed in the mission. Fear was a factor, and it was quickly becoming more crippling every day she was up in the sky knowing that time was running out. And knowing that failure was not an option.