𝟎𝟎𝟖 • 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙎𝙊𝙉𝙂: 𝗱𝗲𝗳𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗹𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝗯𝘆 𝗹𝗼𝘂𝗶𝘀 𝘁𝗼𝗺𝗹𝗶𝗻𝘀𝗼𝗻

' But it's only the truth
Been up all night, not sure how to say this right
Got so much to lose
Never been so defenceless '

BRADLEY WAS WATCHING her watch him, her eyes trailing up and down as she looked over him in concern. He knew he looked miserable and in a beaten-up shape. He had kept the illusion that he was strong enough to forget his father, to forget everything that had happened in the  past, for so long that tearing it down was a challenge in itself. A challenge that took its toll on him, clearly, due to the shape he was in at the moment. He still shaking, something that had just happened. All he could remember was that whenever he was scared or nervous about anything, major or minor, his hands would shake uncontrollably. If he didn't fidget with them or take his mind off the situation at hand, it would get worse until his entire body was shaking and someone had to come in and calm him down. 

His doctors told him, when his mother had brought him in because it was getting too severe, that it was most likely anxiety. They hadn't given him medication, just told him to "calm down" and "avoid high-stress scenarios". They also told him to "relax and take breaks when you have to." People shot this down immediately, claiming instantly that he had enough free time and this entire thing was an overreaction. An instinctive response to not having a father figure. He was too afraid to argue back. 

But instead of fidgeting, it was Cassidy who let him go from a tight embrace and grab his hands with both of hers. She clasped them in a gentle grip as his nerves settled. Carefully, she guided him to sitting next to her on the edge of her bed, her hands still holding his. You're okay. she seemed to say as she stared at her clasped palms. You're safe now. I'm right here. He exhaled shakily. "So," she started slowly, "what did you want to talk about?" She was giving him an opening and he took it. 

"I-I know I've been a jerk these past couple days. Ever since the training started, and I know you know why now, it's an understatement to say that I've been an awful person to you and everyone else. I should've told you everything when you asked, when I had the chance to. I should've come clean the second I saw Maverick walk in the hangar, the moment I knew he was teaching the course. Or-" he paused, cutting himself off midsentence. "I should've told you a long time ago. I never should have lied to you about any of it. You've deserved that ever since I've known you." 

She didn't move, just continued watching him silently. You're okay. You're safe now. I'm right here. He could practically hear the words in his head. The slightest bit of a reaction that he got was a brief squeeze of his hands from her. He breathed, preparing himself. He'd never done it before, he'd never told anyone how he felt about this story that had been his reality since he was a toddler. Everyone who he would have told already knew, already had their own perspective on the situation.