A Bus Seat

That morning, I wake up before anyone else. I wiggle out of Alex's arms carefully, so I don't wake him up. I grab my stuff and scoot it all closer to Megan and Drew... and away from Alex. I get dressed quickly and play some quiet, soothing music from my phone as I start to pack. I take deep breaths, trying to calm myself for what will happen today.

As people start to wake up, I plug in some head phones and tuck my phone in my jean shorts pocket. I nod along with the soft music, trying to calm my nerves. Nothing I've ever done will compare to today.

I try not to think about what's actually going to happen, otherwise I feel a prick in my eyes as tears begin to form. No. I can't think about it. It will only make it worse.

I suck in a breath and zip my bag. Everything is packed and half the corp is awake. Wonderful. I sit, my back against my bag, and wait. I finally pull out my phone to play on when Alex starts to wake up. I can't face him. Not yet.

I see his confusion out of the corner of my eye, but he continues to wake up and pack, just like after any competition. I pull one earbud out a turn to Megan. "Can I sit with you on the bus today, or will Drew be utterly devastated."

She gives me a look. "Are you and Alex on good terms?"

I shrug. "Can I?" I ask, ignoring her question completely.

"I'm sure Drew will be fine sitting with Eli. Although, I'm not so sure Eli is willing to give up his own seat."

The two of us laugh together. I forget, for a moment, what today is.

"Hey you." Alex says from behind me.

I take a breath, trying to stay calm.

"Becca? Hey, what's up?" he asks as I move away from him. I grab my stuff and try to walk away, but her grabs my upper arms and spins me around. "Becca, what's the matter? Did I do something?"

I shake my head.

"Then what's going on?"

I look down at my feet. I can't look him in the eye. "I don't want to talk about it right now." I pull away from him in his momentary shock. I hurry to get out of the gym, and away from him.

"Beeca! Wait!"

I duck my head and keep moving. I can't let the tears flow. I just can't.

"Becca, please slow down."

I drop my flag bag and yank open the semi door. I jump in trying to avoid him, but he hops in right after me. I've just cornered myself.

"What is it? What is this about?" He tries to cup my cheek, but I turn away. This is not going to end the way he wants it to.

I don't say anything and stare at the floor of the semi, hopping, praying that he will get the message and go away. That doesn't seem to be the case.

"Is this about yesterday? Is this about what those girls said?" His tone of voice, the reminder, it jerks a sob from my lungs, just to think about it.

"It is isn't?" We're both quiet a moment before he says something. "Becca, I don't care what you're thinking right now, it doesn't matter, because I know you're thinking some crap about how you're not good enough for me. And, ya know what, that's backwards. I don't deserve you. You're a kind, caring girl that's perfect at everything she does.You try so hard to be good at something, but you're already there. You're already great at it, when you're trying so hard to be good at it. Becca you're wonderful and beautiful, and nothing anyone says can change that. You..."

"Stop!"

Silence fills the semi. Alex stares at me, hoping I'm going to be okay. "Thanks for the confidence boost Alex, but this isn't going to work." I push past him, aiming for the door.

"Becca..."

"No," I say forcefully. "No Alex. Nothing you can do can change my mind today. We're no good." With that, I push out of the semi and hop onto the bus seat next to Megan, refusing to look up again.

Hey guys! Another short update, but probably a well needed one after that last one. There will be another update soon, because this is a harsh chapter. Hope you guys enjoy the chapter... and the wait! Cheers! -Tarra