Chapter 6- The Hooded Figure

Chapter 6

As soon as we left the woman’s cottage, I asked the Doctor,

“What’s with the whole ‘Detective Smith’ thing?”

He pulled something out of his pocket,

“I use John Smith as a name sometimes when I act as a human. Now come on, we have a job to do!”

I followed him,

“I still don’t have a pair of shoes, and what is that thing in your hand?”

It was a long silver… thing. I didn’t know what it was. It had a little green light on the end and made a funny noise when he pressed it.

“This is my sonic screwdriver. Quite a nice little device actually.”

He began to pace up and down,

“If you were someone, anyone in fact, and you were hiding some children, where would you hide them?”

I pouted,

“An abandoned factory or cottage.”

“Too obvious. It would have to be somewhere else… somewhere different.”

I shrugged,

“For now, we should probably investigate, shouldn’t we?”

He pointed his sonic screwdriver in the direction of the main village we’d just been in. The end turned green, and he ran off.

I sprinted after him,

“I’ll take that as a yes.”

When we eventually stopped back in the village centre, I glanced over at the shoe stall,

“Please, Doctor? Now would be a very good time to buy some shoes. You don’t understand how much pain I’m in.”

“Yes! Shoes! Come on then, Willow.”

We started to walk towards the shoe stall, when I noticed a figure out of the corner of my eye. It was someone wearing a long black cloak with a hood. The person was making their way towards an alley between two cottages. There was someone else… a child holding the cloaked figure’s hand.

I shouted out,

“Wait!”

I broke into a run after the figure, but it was already pretty far ahead. I could hear the Doctor running behind me.

Finally I got to the alley- but it was empty. They couldn’t have run down there quickly, it was very narrow.

I turned to the Doctor,

“I saw someone dressed in a black cloak. They were pulling a little child along. They went down here but now… they’re gone.”

As if on cue, a woman standing by the shoe stall cried out,

“My child! My precious child is gone!”

I gulped,

“I should have run faster. I could have saved the child.”

The Doctor patted my shoulder,

“Don’t punish yourself. We can save these children, I’m sure of it.”

I tried to believe him. He seemed so sure and confident.

So why did I feel like something really bad was about to happen?