Chapter 5- Gone Missing

Chapter 5

Did the Doctor even realise the lady on the stall was flirting with him? She couldn’t speak a word of English, but just the way she was looking at him was disturbing me.

I nudged him,

“My feet really hurt. Please can we get the shoes?”

His mouth formed an ‘o’ shape,

“The shoes! Yes! The shoes… I will-”

He didn’t get to finish his sentence. A woman with a Spanish accent was running down the road, screaming,

“MY SON! Somebody has taken my son!”

The Doctor and I exchanged a worried look. He frowned,

“There’s more to this town than I thought.”

The woman behind the stall cleared her throat,

“Come with me. You two seem like someone I can trust.”

She turned to another woman,

“Take the stall for a while? I have some… errands to attend to.”

I frowned. A couple of minutes ago this woman had been making out like she couldn’t speak a word of English. Now, all of a sudden, she was fluent in it?

She tossed her long black hair over her shoulders, and started to walk away from the stall. The Doctor and I quickly followed.

I hissed in his ear,

“Can we trust her?”

“Yes.”

I rolled my eyes,

“How do you know?”

“She flirted with me.”

I nodded, unconvinced.

The woman took us to a little cottage. Inside, it was hot and stuffy. I didn’t like it much.

She sat us down at a table. I sighed,

“So, what’s the problem?”

She looked at me,

“So many things. In the past couple of weeks, seven or eight children have gone missing! At first, it was the bad children. People say it was punishment for all their sins. But now over half of them were the good children! They can’t be being punished for their sins! Please, help these children! Do something! Most people try to investigate, but their children go missing! You two look too young to have children together yet. You can get involved without being affected!”

I pointed at the Doctor,

“Yeah… just to clarify, me and him? There is nothing going on between us.”

He ignored me,

“We can try to figure out what’s going on. Call us ‘Detective Smith and Blackburn’.”

She stood up,
“Oh thank you my darlings! I will have to re-pay you some how!”

He grinned at her,

“No need. This is our… job for you.”

I cleared my throat,

“A pair of shoes would be nice.”