Chapter 38

Allie’s POV

“Allie! Oh Allie! I need to talk to you,” a familiar voice called out behind her. Allie stopped where she was and ground her teeth together. She was getting really sick of Joe and his constant demands. At least she had finally gotten rid of that Celina chick. Allie smiled happily to herself. “Is that smile for me?”

“What do you want Joe?” she asked quickly dropping her smile. “I already picked up your dry cleaning, scheduled your dentist appointment, and made sure the hairdresser has your preferred hair gel.”

“There is just one more thing that I need from you then.” Allie wasn’t sure if she wanted to kiss or smack that grin off of his face. “A date.”

“Wait, what?”

“You heard me. I need a date for this publicity party, and I’ve chosen you.”

“That is not going to happen.”

“C’mon Al,” Joe said moving ever closer to her, “That picture of us out at lunch has been on every tabloid for the past week. People already think that we’re dating.” Allie opened her mouth to tell him off, but something very different came out of her mouth.

“I won’t be your rebound Joe.” That wasn’t exactly the scathing refusal she had imagined herself saying. Joe sighed heavily before responding.

“You’re not a rebound.”

“You just broke up with Celina.”

“Celina and I were never dating!”  Allie’s mouth dropped open in shock.

Joe’s POV

Crap. He hadn’t meant to shout that out like that. He was supposed to be the smooth and suave brother. Women snuck into concerts hoping for just a glance at him. Something about this woman turned him into a bumbling idiot. What was he supposed to do now? Hearing a light chuckle he looked over at Kevin dancing happily with Dani. Telling the truth had worked out well for Kevin. It couldn’t hurt to try it himself.

“Celina is a good friend of mine. We knew each other when we were kids. After you broke things off I had to get you back. So I called her and talked her into acting like she was my girlfriend for a few months. I wanted to make you jealous,” Joe said in one long rush. Allie covered her open mouth with her hand.

“Oh my God, I punched her.”

“I didn’t think my plan would work that well, but I’m hoping that your reaction to it means you still care about me.”

“So that guy I saw her with?”

“That’s her boyfriend Robert. He’s a producer for an entertainment news channel. Can we focus on the important stuff right now?”

“Like what?” Joe tried to not get sucked into the fire that flared in her eyes.

“You care. You care about me. You care about us. So why won’t you give us a chance?” She looked down at the ground avoiding his gaze.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Not able to take her avoidance anymore he grabbed onto her arms and shook her.

“You stalked my supposed girlfriend for crying out loud! Don’t tell me you don’t care!” The sudden silence around them told Joe just how loudly he had spoken. With a growl he pulled Allie outside so they could be alone. “If you can look me in the eyes and tell me that you don’t want me then I’ll leave you alone for good. I promise.”

“If we tried us again everyone would think—“ Joe growled once again cutting her off.

“Stop worrying about what everyone else thinks. When you gave up your singing career did you care what anyone thought?” She shook her head no. “And if you really cared what everyone thought you wouldn’t just tell every singer what you think about their performances.” Joe leaned in and captured her mouth in a searing kiss. He pulled away and roughly wiped the tears from her cheeks. “I love you Allie.”

“I love you too Joe,” Allie said pulling him back until only an inch of air separated them from each other. “I love you so much.” Joe leaned in and kissed her hard. They both vaguely heard someone calling for them to come back inside, but Joe ignored them. He finally did it. He finally got the girl. He smiled into the kiss causing Allie to break away from a minute. “What are you so happy about?”

“You,” Joe said before kissing her again.

[AN: One more chapter then an epilogue-y thing. Sorry if the ending seems kind of rushed, but I have been having serious writer’s block on this story.]