Chapter 9

Nick’s POV

Nick smiled as Joe hugged Nicole and then him. There was a distinct happiness that always surrounded Joe. His brother seemed to make everyone in the room smile. Nick looked over at the small brunette who had continued to glare at Joe as he greeted all of them.

“Hey Joe?” Nick asked.

“Yeah bro?” Joe replied looking over at him. Nick pointed over at the young brunette.

“Care to introduce us to your friend?” Joe smiled at the glaring girl whose scowl only deepened.

“Oh this is Allie,” Joe said slinging an arm around her shoulder. “Allie this is my brother Nick and our friend Nicole Anderson.” The young woman jostled Joe’s arm off her shoulder and stepped forward.

“It’s nice to meet you both. I’m Allie James,” she said shaking their hands.

“Hey,” Joe exclaimed, “Why didn’t I get a polite introduction like that when I met you?” Alli turned back to scowl at him.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” she primly replied. Nick snickered. This girl gave as good as she took. Joe turned a pleading look towards him.

“She was so mean to me Nick. She called me names and then she insulted my hair,” he said in a high pitched voice while faking some rather dramatic sobs.

“Stop it Joe,” Nicole said from her spot next to Nick. “Leave the poor girl alone.” Nick smiled over at her. Nicole never wanted to hurt anyone’s feelings. She was always so gentle with everyone she met. Nick gripped her hand tighter, and she smiled over at him.

“So Allie, how did you end up following my brother around?” Nick asked.

“I’m assigned as his production assistant at the recording studio. Are the two of you dating or something?” Allie replied pointing at their joined hands. Nicole’s face flushed and she dropped Nick’s hand.  Suddenly Nick wasn’t enjoying the blunt girl anymore. He looked over at Nicole wishing she would grab his hand again. He felt bad for scaring her by passing out, but he was thrilled that she had stayed by his side the entire time.

“Al, babe, you’re embarrassing them,” Joe said walking over to Allie and slinging his arm around her shoulders yet again.

“I’m not your babe,” Allie said glaring at him. Nick noticed that she didn’t knock his arm off this time. It was almost as if she seemed to be having fun sparring with his brother. Joe looked down and winked at her.  Allie’s face bloomed red. Before anyone could say another word the doctor walked into Nick’s room.

“Here are your discharge papers Mr. Jonas. You can leave whenever you’re ready. Promise me that you’ll take it easy this time,” the doctor said. Nick nodded his agreement and snatched up the papers smiling.

“Let’s get out of here,” Nick said. Nicole jumped up in happiness and hugged Nick tight. Seconds later she pulled back in embarrassment.

“Um, I’ll got get Kevin so he can take us home,” Nicole spit out before darting out of the room. Nick sighed as he watched her go. He was never going to get anywhere if she kept running away from him.

“Oh, I get it. You have a crush on her and she doesn’t know abou—“ Allie got off before Joe slapped a hand over her mouth.

“Babe, shut up,” Joe said with a calm smile. Nick laughed at his brother as he held Allie close to his side. “Ow!” he suddenly exclaimed jumping and holding his fingers. “What the hell? You just bit me!”

“Stop calling me babe!” Alli screeched. Nick chuckled as the two started to bicker. He glanced over at the doorway hoping that Nicole would return soon.

[AN: There. I posted. Thanks for all the supportive comments you guys! They really made me smile! I’ll post as often as I can, but my day job often gets in the way. I am filling in for my manager, and I just found out she is going to be gone even longer! *Groan*]