Chapter 37

Nick’s POV

Nick checked to make sure the dip was set out next to the vegetables. He straightened a pile of napkins and checked to see if they needed more ice. Everything had to be perfect for tonight.

“Hey Martha Stewart, would you just chill out?” Joe said walking up to the food table. Nick shot him a dirty look. Joe had been making fun of him all day long. He couldn’t help it if he was acting neurotic today. This would be the first time in a week that he would get to see Nicole. His heart fluttered at just the thought of her name. “Dude, have you even been listening to me? Yoo hoo!” Joe waved a hand in front of Nick’s face.

“Would you stop that?” Nick asked smacking his hand away. “I’ve been a little distracted. Now what were you asking?”

“I was asking if you knew where Kevin was at? He needs to be here for the publicity photos. We can’t introduce a new season of Jonas when one of us is missing,” Joe said rolling his eyes.

“He said he had to go pick up something for the party. Come to think of it that was like an hour ago.” He and Joe looked over at the door hoping that it would magically conjure up their older brother. Instead of Kevin in walked Nicole. Nick’s heart sped up.

“Nicole! Are you excited to film an all new season of our show?” Joe asked walking up and hugging her. Nicole smiled and looked over to where Nick stood. He was disappointed to see that her smile fell once she laid her eyes on him. They hadn’t talked since the day she left to break up with Kevin. He knew from Kevin that the breakup had indeed happened. Was she still mad at him for lying to her in order to protect Danielle?

“It’s good to see you both,” Nicole said flashing a small smile. “Where’s Kevin?”

“I’m right here. I just had to pick up my date,” Kevin said entering the room with Dani by his side. Dani stood quietly warily eyeing Nicole. Everyone else in the room waited to see Nicole’s reaction as well.

“Dani! Why haven’t you called me?” Nicole asked rushing over to embrace the other girl in a tight hug. Everyone else breathed a sigh of relief.

“I thought you were mad at me,” Dani shakily replied. Kevin placed a reassuring arm across her shoulders.

“I was at first. But then I realized that you were right. I know you would never do anything to harm me. It was just an accident. You’re my best friend and nothing will change that. Promise me that we share everything from now on? Even the weird things like the Jonas shrine in your closet?” Dani flushed and nodded.

“I thought you got rid of the shrine,” Kevin said.

“Actually I just moved it to the guest bedroom,” Dani shyly admitted.

“So that’s why you wouldn’t let me go in there?” Kevin asked looking down at her. Dani just giggled and leaned into his brother.

“I am so glad that the two of you are finally together,” Joe said clapping Kevin on the back. “Now we just need to get these two together and everything will be perfect.” Nicole glanced uncomfortably at Nick before addressing Joe.

“Joe, Nick and I are not together,” Nicole said mater of factly. Nick’s heart cracked in two.

“But I thought—“ Nick cracked out before stopping. What had he thought? Did he just assume that once she broke up with Kevin she would come running back to his arms? Okay, maybe he had thought that. Instead Nicole had avoided his calls and visits to her home. She was only here because of her contractual obligations to the show.

“Look, I need some time to get myself back together. I really care about you Nick, but I want to focus on my work right now. Just enjoy the peace and quiet,” Nicole said while looking at the ground. The room grew silent.

“Well, on that awkward note I have some business of my own to attend to before we start snapping photos,” Joe said walking out of the room at the sight of a familiar face.

“Is that Allie?” Nicole asked.

“Yes. Joe told her she had to work the party as his personal assistant,” Nick said with a snicker. Everyone watched as Joe walked over to Allie and pulled her somewhere private.

“I really hope those two work everything out. They’re perfect for each other,” Nicole said quietly from her spot next to Nick. He watched Nicole’s side profile wondering if she had ever thought the same thing about them.

[AN: I know there is no third season of JONAS, but a girl can dream! Only a few chapters left!]