twenty three

"We brought the drinks," Liam offered, an attempt to lighten the mood.

Neither Harry nor I replied. "Alright, we can leave you two alone if you'd like."

"That would be lovely," Harry started quickly, but I cut in.

"We're fine." I glanced around the room, trying to figure out why I was even here with them. I obviously ruined whatever they had planned. From the corner of my eye I could see Harry look down and shake his head. I looked down and braced myself when I saw him stand, but his touch never came.

I looked up and met his gaze, he was in the entrance of the hallway trying to meet my eyes. His emotions were threateningly covert, making chills run lightly across my skin. His eyes left mine and his head tilted slightly towards the bedrooms in a gesture for me to follow. His face was stone hard as he turned and continued down the hallway.

I cleared my throat when I looked around the living room and met many cautious eyes. "I'll be back in a moment."

Three of the four boys tilted their bottles towards me as I lifted myself from the settee. I felt as if I would faint as the realization that I had overreacted hit me. I had been way too dramatic almost an hour ago and now I was about to face Harry once again to apologize for something I could've prevented. I should've just declined his invitation to that darn party, he didn't need a guest after all.

I was just upset that the person I had a tiny bit of feelings for thought I was too young for him. But he is twenty-two, I guess it's understandable that he's worried about my age. Especially when he's in this place.

But, when we're close to each other, a sense of protection claims me until I can't feel him close to me anymore. I enjoy being around him, it makes me feel secure. As if I don't need to worry about anything or anyone like Richard or Noah's brother, my dad or my mum.

My friends give me the same feeling but this feeling is intensified. And I feel as if it's too soon to be feeling this way. I've only known him for what, a little over two months?

After a deep -intentionally calming- breath, I push my feet forward and make my way up the stairs. I count each step in an attempt to distract myself from the nervousness swimming inside my stomach. I couldn't hear him anywhere but I made my way towards where I woke up after the whole Alex ordeal.

Though, before I can make it there, a hand grips onto my forearm and pulls me back into a different room. A light flicks on and I barely get to make out that it's Zayn standing in front of me before he starts talking, "Okay, hear me out on this, alright?"

I nod, completely confused.

"Harry likes you, all of us know he does-"

"How would you know-"

"He's our best friend, we've all been as close as brothers for years. We can tell when something's up with him." He whispered, his hand still gripping my arm. "He's very fond of you. He cares about you, and we care about what he cares about. Please hear him out. Whatever he did, or said, please let it go and be with him already."

I was dumbfounded. They must be pretty great friends if they know about me.

"Zayn, I can't be with him if he doesn't want to be with me. He said I'm too young," I looked at the tiled floor, this must be the bathroom. Zayn sighed & gave my arm a light squeeze, reaching his other hand out to rest on the door frame beside me. I started again before he could talk, "and I overreacted, I know."

"I wasn't going to say you overreacted, I was going to say that you have to put his situation into perspective. He's in this place and you're seventeen. Trust me, everyone would know you two were together the second you stepped foot in public with one another.