Chapter Five - Turn On The Lights

My mind told me it was time to eventually wake up, after what seemed like a complete decade of sleep. Yawning, as I opened my eyes. I couldn’t see a thing. Blinking a few times, I stared around, waiting for my eyes to find the light. There was none whatsoever. I frowned, rubbing my eyes. Where the hell was I? I lay there for a few more minutes, feeling frustrated and not knowing what to do. I really hated the dark. It scared the absolute crap out of me. After all I was the one who found my father dead – dead in the dark. It brought on the torturous memory, that I tried my utmost best to avoid. But now I could sense it crawling back to me. I needed to get out of this darkness, and really quickly. 

I turned my head, looking for any sign of a window, or even a door. Nothing gave me a hint of light. It was just pure black. I waved my hand in front of my face, but it was pointless. Was I blind? I couldn’t be trapped in the darkness for the rest of my life! Now, completely freaking out, I fumbled around me. Soft, silky fabric met my fingers. Where on earth was I? Who was playing this sick joke on me? This wasn’t a good joke at all, it wasn’t one bit funny. My quilt wasn’t made of silk, it was definitely cotton this week. I wasn’t in my bed! Was I being kidnapped? I shook my head, trying not to panic. The worst thing you could do was panic.

I took a deep breath and pushed myself up so I was sitting on the bed. Still no light. I checked my jean pockets for my cell phone, but it wasn’t there. No way of calling the police. Great. I decided to get off the bed, but it took me a while to find the edge. That’s when I certainly knew I wasn’t in my house. The only beds in my house were single, except for Sinead’s which was a double. I began to sweat in anxiety. Pushing the worst-case scenarios away from my mind, I stuck my leg out.

Instantly I tumbled down onto the ground. I shrieked, pulling the blankets down with me, as if they’d actually stop me from falling … I landed with a thump, my face burning in pain. My eyes began to fill up with tears as I tried to push myself up. So much for quietly escaping. As soon as I stood up and took my first step, I fell back down onto the ground, my foot tangled in the quilt. I groaned, and brought my leg up so I could try and release my foot. That’s when I heard someone close by move.

I froze, and the person moved again. Holding my breath, I tried to think of something I could do to hide myself away from the stranger in the darkness. I read about this in one of my books before! Why couldn’t I remember? The stranger advanced again, and I got the horrible feeling that someone was watching me. Of course they were watching me, the stranger in the darkness was making their way over to me. Unable to speak, see or move, I lay there waiting for my worst nightmare to take effect.

‘Boo!’ a voice suddenly whispered in my ear. ‘Guess who?’

I screamed my heart out, but the sound was muffled by his hand. He chuckled, and dragged me closer to him. Was I going to be raped, or murdered? What did I do to deserve this? I had just began the most amazing time of my life and now it was just going to be ruined. Maybe nobody would ever find me again. I’d be lost in this darkness forever, never able to escape.

‘Jeez, Laura, stop struggling –’

‘Who are you?’ I cried, kicking my legs to see if they made contact with him. Maybe if I injured him, I’d be able to flee. The chances of escaping were slim, even for a fast runner like me, but I was beginning to feel desperate. When were my survival instincts going to kick in? I didn’t think I could wait too long for them to take effect. I needed them now.

‘Your boyfriend, silly!’ he laughed, pulling me up so I was nearly sitting on his lap. ‘Now, come here and stop all this nonsense, Laura. What do you think I’m going to do? Kill you, or something? Come on, Laura, stop! It’s me –!’