Chapter Thirty-Eight - I Will Never Leave You

‘That was just fantastic, wasn’t it?’ I sighed, throwing my coat and handbag on the coat-hanger and making my way into the sitting room. ‘The two of them are all gone. Life sentences. Never gonna bother us ever again.’ We had just arrived home from Travis and Rebecca’s trial, and they were gone. Prisoners, while I was innocent and free. I had nothing or no one to bother me anymore. Everything was finito.

‘I think this calls for a celebration!’ Sinead grinned, taking out four fancy champagne flutes out of the cupboard. She placed them down on the coffee table in the sitting room and James helped her pop open the champagne. He poured an equal amount of the sparkling white wine into each of the flutes, and handed one to Sinead, Ryan, me and himself. I hesitantly took a sip of the champagne (warily after the last time I tried wine), but it actually turned out to be nice.

James frowned out the window, draining the last of his champagne out of the flute. ‘Did one of your neighbours get a new car? It’s one hell of a beauty. Wouldn’t mind robbing that …’

Sinead shook her head. ‘Nope. It’s Laura’s. Ryan bought it for her.’

His mouth popped open in surprise. ‘That’s the car you got her? Oh my … How did you get the money for that? I thought you got her a second-hand car, or something crappy since she doesn’t know how to drive … but this! It’s so nice …’ He almost unwillingly tore his eyes away from my new car to look at Sinead with puppy-dog eyes. ‘Sinead, you know the way Christmas is coming up really soon?’

She laughed. ‘In your dreams. I barely have enough money to buy a car for myself, never mind buying you an extra car. The car that you have is fine, anyway. I’ll be getting you a nice and thoughtful present for Christmas, James, don’t you worry. And if you don’t want that, you can get a good kick up the arse.’

James pouted, and then smiled excitedly at me. ‘So, have you tried it out yet?’

‘No,’ I giggled. ‘I don’t trust myself that much yet … Ryan drove it over here, not me. See? It’s still in perfect condition. If I had have driven it over here, probably all the windows would be smashed, the lights would be hanging off, the hood-thingy would be probably smoking, too, and the two of us would probably be in hospital –’

‘She’ll be getting her driving lessons pretty soon, though,’ said Ryan. ‘Scott’s big bro will be teaching her so that should be good fun. Then she’ll be going to do her test and hopefully pass so she can get her license!’

‘If she doesn’t pass, don’t worry about the car going to waste. I’ll take it,’ James laughed, and then looked longingly out of the window again.

Sinead rolled her eyes. ‘Of course Laura’s going to pass. She’s a straight-A student so she’ll have no problem with learning all of this. Sure, it’ll be really handy for you anyway, now, won’t it? You’ll be able to drop me to work and everything,’ she smirked.

I sighed. ‘If that’s the case, I’m gonna get a job and save up until I have enough money to buy you your own car.’

James and Sinead stood up, and began putting their coats on.

‘Where’re yous going?’ I asked, frowning. ‘Don’t you want dinner?’

Sinead winked. ‘James is gunna bring me to the fanciest restaurant in town, right? It’s our last chance to do anything fancy before we go back to Ireland.’

James dug his hand into his pocket. ‘I’ll see what I can do …’ he said, counting the amount of dollars he had. ‘I barely have enough to go to Taco Bell. We’ll go to the movies first, anyway, to see this gay little Twilight crap –’