Chapter Three - Only One Fork?

‘Sinead, I don’t know what to wear!’ I yelled, standing in front of my wardrobe that seemed to have nothing cute in it whatsoever at twelve o’clock, Wednesday morning. I only had two more hours until I was meeting Ryan! I grabbed a strand of my hair and pulled it in frustration. My sister was too wrapped up in her boyfriend to come help me in the crisis. ‘Sinead, hurry the bloody hell up!’ I said frantically.

She skipped her way into my room, grinning broadly. ‘So does this mean you’re surrendering, waving the white flag? I promise, Laura, if you just let me do you up you’ll look stunning, even though you’re stunning enough already … Please, Laura, for your only sister. If you love me, you’ll let me give you a makeover. I promise, it won’t turn out like a disaster. Come on, you have to let me … I’ve got much better at this stuff now, since I’ve gone on like a thousand dates already –’

I rolled my eyes. ‘Sinead, just do it and shut up talking. Oh, and be as quick as you can … I really don’t want to be late for this. If I am late he might just walk off, thinking I stood him up. I can’t be late for my first date …’

‘Fine, fine,’ she said, pushing me out of the way of my wardrobe and rooting through it.

I walked over to my bed and flopped onto it. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea … The last time my sister gave me a ‘makeover’ was two years ago, and it turned out horrible. I wasn’t too sure that Ryan would find me very attractive with red lipstick smudged all over my lips, bright pink blusher caked my cheeks and black eyeshadow going all the way up to my eyebrow.  I shuddered at the thoughts of it, but tried to turn my concentration onto relaxing myself. I felt so nervous! First date … with a complete stranger. Maybe it wasn’t going to be so bad. He seemed really friendly, so it would probably going to be really easy to talk to him, and fun. Anyways, it wasn’t as though he was going to bite me … He was a nice lad, and a really good-looking one too, who claimed to be in love with me … It was just crazy.

‘Ugh, I give up! Laura, I have to take you shopping some time. Your wardrobe’s just full of jeans, tee-shirts and jumpers! How on earth do you live like this? Hold on a minute, I’m running inside to get you something from my pile of clothes, something without Green Day or Nirvana splattered all over it. Don’t you dare move off that bed, or I’ll have to kill you,’ she warned me, rushing out of my bedroom. When she came back, she was holding up a cute pink sweatshirt, yellow scarf and navy skinny jeans.

I raised my eyebrows sceptically. ‘Are you sure those colours will look good together?’

‘Positive. Now, throw it on and call me when you’re ready for me to do your hair and stuff,’ she ordered, leaving the clothes on the bed beside me and rushing out of my room again. ‘Trav! Get out of the kitchen! You’re not allowed in there! Out! Right now! I don’t care what you need to get!’

To my surprise, when I checked my reflection in the mirror and twirled around on the spot, the outfit did look quite good. Sinead was getting much better at this, after all. When I called her back in, she straightened my hair and put my makeup on. Travis wolf-whistled as I walked into the living room, where he was watching the news again. He watched the news nearly more times than he watched football, and that was saying something. I briefly read the headlines along the top of the screen. Well, at least the cops were progressing in the recent case. They apparently caught a man named Chad Davis, suspected of being in one of the gangs involved. I didn’t even understand how stupid people could be joining gangs. It was ridiculous.

~*~

When I turned the corner and onto the street where the café was, my eyes searched around eagerly for Ryan, until I saw him standing there, with a navy shirt on and grey trousers. His hair was messy and I could even see his beautiful green eyes glinting in the distance. As soon as I saw him, I felt as though every single worry in the world was washed away … weird. The funny feeling in my chest returned, but I tried to ignore it. He waved me over as soon as he spotted me, smiling. I nearly ran over.