1.02 The Wolf

chapter two| The Wolf

"It is not the strongest of a species that survives nor the most intelligent but the one most responsive to change" - Charles Darwin

The wolf was the enormous, unlike any wolf I have ever seen. What was even more terrifying was his abnormal stealth, no animal his size could be that quiet. Unless he was no wolf but a faerie of some sorts. We were really screwed now. As if Feyre read my mind she drew an ash arrow aiming it at the wolf.

Through lullabies everyone knew that faeries hated iron but it was ash wood that made their immortal, healing magic falter leaving them vulnerable. Humans were then able to make the kill. At least that is what the rumors claim and I hope there true.

   Still having my bow aimed at the deer, we make this silent plan that Feyre will kill the wolf while I'll get the deer. Luckily the wolf is focused on the doe, leaving us just to wait for the perfect opportunity to strike.
I just hoped it would be soon because wolves traveling packs and when you find one it's not long before you find another.

The wolf eyes were trained on doe, waiting to pounce.  As he creeped closer a twig snapped beneath his massive paw. The doe's went stiff and was looking around and staring in the wrong direction. She couldn't see or smell him when his sliver body blended in with the snow. Then the wolf shot our from the bush.

   Only seeing a flash of gray, white, black and his yellow fangs. We both fired our are arrows. My arrow found itself within the doe's heart and Feyre found her mark within the wolf's side.
     He barked in pain, letting the doe go and leaving red blood on the  snow. Feyre drew her second arrow as she watched the wolf with hunter eyes. She took a breath and then shot the arrow and it went right through his wide yellow eye.

He fell to the ground instantly. The wolf then let out a low painful whine as he was pawing at the ground. His breathing slows until he released his last breath. And then he was dead.

          I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding. I am glad we bought that ash arrow because it proved to be useful. I am still suspicious of the wolf being a faerie though I wouldn't care if it was. The wall was built 500 years ago for a reason, before then we were just slaves to the faeries.

"Nice shot." I smirk.

"Thanks." Feyre breathed out and looked just as relieved as me.

"Alright let's skin the wolf then head back with the deer before we meet his brothers and sisters" I said taking the arrows out of the wolf and handing them to Feyre.
I close its remaining eye, muttering a thank you as I always did with each life we took.
Doing the same with the helpless doe.

          We quickly clean our bows and skinned the wolf, having to leave it behind because they was no way either of us could carry that thing.
Shivering in the cold forest with a doe on my shoulders and the wolf's bloody pelt on her. We definitely wouldn't want any of his pack following us back to our cottage just because we left a blood trail.  Having a few miles before we got back home Feyre said that we should take turns on  carrying the doe even though I told her I got it. Sometimes she drives me insane with her motherly tendencies and stubbornness.

        We both silently walk back and all my mind can think about is how weird that wolf was.  He seemed too smart, unlike any wolf I've seen. 
The possibility of him being a faerie terrifies me and I really hope I am proven wrong.

____________________

     It is about sunset when we leave the forest. My legs are numb and my knees are shaky. After being in the woods all day since sunrise we are exhausted. As we get closer to the cottage I can hear Nesta and Elain chattering, probably about a cute boy or a ribbon they spotted. They choose to spend their time talking about pointless things  instead of chopping wood like they were supposed to.

   I take my boot tapping it against the wall to knock off the snow. As Feyre yanks open the door Elain left a soft gasp. "Amelia, Feyre!" she says.
Elain has always been the sweet one out of all of us. She looks at the deer on my shoulders with hunger, tilting her head as she asks "Where did you get that?"
I love Elain, she's my twin but she can be naïve at times. Maybe if I wasn't so exhausted I would have responded.

I huffed as Feyre snaps "Where do you think we got it?"

  I turned to the fire seeing Nesta and father trying to stay warm by the fire. I wondered if Nesta was going to push him in. She has blamed him for losing everything and won't even speak to him.
Nesta and I always butt heads but I can understand why she hates him. At times I wanted to hate him but family is family, they are all I have.

"Will it take you guys long to clean it?" Elain said, her hand placed over her hunger belly.

I shouldn't be surprised it's always me and Feyre doing everything but yet a stupid part of me is waiting for them to help. I don't even try anymore, trust me I did for a really long time. No matter what I say or do Elain and Nesta will just continue to spend money like it grows on trees and not give a damn. So I head over to go clean the deer while Feyre talks with father.

As I walk away I hear Nesta say "You two stink like a pig covered in it's own fifth. Can't you at least try to pretend that your not an ignorant person?" As soon as the words leave her mouth, I turn around.
Some nerve she has, judging us after we just brought home her dinner. 

"Tell me Nesta, how was chopping the wood? You know like you were supposed to do. What have you've done other than sit on your ass and talk all day." Nesta remains silent.
"Oh that's right you have done nothing, so unless you want to start helping around, I suggest you keep your thoughts to yourself." I say voice filled with spite.

Nesta sized me up like I was an opponent, and then looks at her nails picking at them. "Well I figured since it takes you half the time it takes me, then you wouldn't mind. Besides your hands are much suited for it their already rough." Nesta says with a sickling sweet voice.

"Well than I guess you'll be happy to eat your breakfast cold in the morning. Unless you want to chop the wood up, the choice is yours." I say and then walk away to go finish cleaning the deer leaving no room for discussion.