Chapter 4: The party

I look at myself in the mirror for the umpteenth time, wondering if what I am wearing is casual enough for a get together at Chris Hemsworth's house. Dad only said to dress how I normally would when going out with friends. Relaxed and unpretentious. I could do that, except Chris isn't actually my friend, so I don't know what casual means to him. I shake my head, trying to quell the nervousness in the pit of my stomach.

I know I'm not really anxious about impressing Chris because he's Chris Hemsworth. I'm anxious about impressing him because he is Scarlett's friend.

I sigh, feeling the butterflies in my stomach at the thought of the other woman. We've been texting each other non stop, sometimes even calling one another just to check in and ask about each other's day. She tells me all about her latest projects and I tell her about my future plans. I still don't have the heart to start painting again but I'm definitely starting to feel better enough to pick up on it soon.

Bringing myself out of my thoughts, I take one final look at my reflection. What I'm wearing should be good enough, I think. I feel sexy and comfortable at the same time. Plus, the color makes me think of Scarlett's eyes.

After donning a bit of light make-up, I grab my purse from atop the vanity and make my way towards the main house

After donning a bit of light make-up, I grab my purse from atop the vanity and make my way towards the main house. Dad is already in the foyer waiting for me.

"I'm sorry, dad. Did I make you wait long?"

"Not at all, sweetie." He says, smiling broadly. "You look wonderful. Planning on impressing anyone tonight?"

That makes me chuckle. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

He grins, throwing me a wink. What a bully.

We arrive at Chris' house a little after eight. The party is already in full swing. Stepping inside of the luxurious home, I immediately see Chris' brother, Liam, in an animated conversation with Tom Holland. By the unlit fireplace in the living room stand Chris Evans and Miles Teller. And deeper into the house, leaning against a kitchen counter, is Jessica Chastain laughing with Chris' wife, Elsa.

There are a lot more celebrities around, but I can't focus on them when I am only looking for one woman in particular. My eyes flit back and forth and forth and back, hoping to see Scarlett somewhere in the crowd. I am so busy looking that I don't notice Dad steering us right in front of Chris. I shouldn't have been surprised though. It's only proper to greet the host as soon as one arrives at their house.

"Hey, David, thanks for coming," Chris says when we reach him.

"Wouldn't have missed it," Dad replies. "I hope you don't mind that I brought my daughter as my plus one."

"Not at all." Chris turns to me, the corners of his blue eyes crinkling as he smiles and says, "You must be (Y/N). Your dad's talked about you a lot."

That makes me blush. "I hope he hasn't shared any embarrassing stories."