Chapter 8: Silver Linings

Alpha Jaxon made his way to the room that was assign to Lily. He could feel his heart beating out of his rib cage as worry filtered his system. He hoped that Lily was okay and she hadn't suffered any serious injuries from the attack. It had been his duty to protect her, and he had failed to do so. He should have known better, he should've known to get Lily to safety first, but everything happened so fast. One moment Daphne was in front of him and the next she was flying towards Lily. Daphne had shifted for the first time, her wolf was going to be irrational she was a warrior at heart she wasn't going to go down without a fight. Jaxon should've made her submit to him. He should've done more.

"Alpha," the nursed bowed her head in respect when she saw him approach the nurse station. He nodded back in her direction. Focusing on the task at hand.

"Hi Laura, how is Lily doing?" He asked leaning against the counter.

"She's okay, although she is healing slower then normal we think it's because of the stress, but we are running a couple of test," Laura explained looking at the chart of the young female who had been rushed in a couple of hours ago.

"Can I see her?" The Alpha asked hoping that this was a good time.

"Of course, follow me, " the nurse said, walking around from behind the desk and leading the Alpha were the female Lily was.

She opened the door finding Lily was still sleeping. The Alpha walked right behind her and into the room. Laura checked the IV fluids, a couple of other things and made notes on her chart before giving the Alpha one more bow and leaving them alone in the room.

Alpha Jaxon stared at Lily, her eyes were closed as she slept. Her blond hair cascades down her shoulders. Her chest raised slowly up and down which was now heavily bandaged. She looked so peaceful sleeping. He made small movements not to wake her up. He pulled a chair to sit right next to her and grabbed her hand holding onto it. He stared at their conjoin hands waiting for something to happen. He waited, but nothing happened. He furrowed his eyebrows, no sparks, nothing like the first time they had met. He didn't feel his heart race nor did he feel his wolf need to be close to her. The wild sensations he muster up the first time they had met weren't there.

Was it because of Daphne? His wolf didn't make any attempts to reach out to Lily's wolf he stayed quiet at the back of his mind. How could he mate Lily in two days time when he wasn't even sure what he felt was real?

"You look concern, my love," Lily said breaking Jaxons thoughts. He looked up at her, seeing her waking up and rubbing the sleep away from her eyes. Not wanting to concern her he focused on her well being hoping to stay away from the topic of Daphne. He wasn't sure what to say yet when it came to she strong head she wolf.

"Hey you, how are you doing?" he smiled weakly at her. She squeezed her hand that he was holding and again he couldn't help the feeling of his heart dropping as he felt nothing. Not even a tug at his heart and he couldn't help but wonder where had the spark gone?

"I'm okay...just a little shaken up that's all," Lily said. Jaxon nodded his head, he had no doubt that she was indeed shaken up, he still hasn't wrapped his head around everything. Coming to terms of it all was proving to be harder then he imagined. It just felt like it was one thing after another.

"I know. I'm sorry that you had to go through all this. I'm going to talk to the Doctor to see how long you they want you to stay here. Then I'm just going to go take care of some pack business," he said, but the look on Lily's face told him she didn't fully believe him. She stared at him blankly before speaking.

"You are going to go see her. Aren't you?" She said almost accusingly. She ripped her hand from his and crossed her arms across her chest. Jaxon didn't say anything, he stayed silent. He didn't know what to say. He knew it was wrong of him to want to see Daphne, but he couldn't help himself. He couldn't stop thinking about her even when Lily was here in front of him. He needed to know if he'd feel the sparks with her, if maybe he had gone it so wrong.