June 17, 2022: Princess Ingrid Alexandra's 18th Birthday gala

Claudine and Florestan were in Norway with royals from different countries for Princess Ingrid Alexandra's 18th Birthday gala.

Of course, all these royals were also invited to their upcoming wedding so naturally the wedding was the main topic whenever someone came to talk to Claudine and Florestan.

"I hope to you and the family are at the wedding," Claudine told Mary.

Mary smiled.

"Of course.Yes, we wouldn't miss it for the world," Mary said.

Ahead of the party, in the Small Hall a photograph with royals from different countries was taken with the Norwegian royal family.

The theme of the evening's décor was A Midsummer Night's Dream, and guests were greeted with candlelight and flowers as they arrived at the main gate of the Royal Palace.

The tables in the Royal Palace's Banqueting Hall were set for 199 guests, and the menu for the evening consisted of carrot tartare, asparagus and scallops, halibut and Norwegian strawberries.

Queen Sonja was the first speaker of the evening, welcoming the guests to the Royal Palace, and offering Princess Ingrid Alexandra some advice.

"You have everything you need to make wise choices and create a life that will be rewarding for you, for your loved ones, and for those for whom you one day will be Queen," the Queen said to her granddaughter.

"I hope you will always have a space of your own where you feel entirely free, where you will find replenishment, rest and inspiration – as I have found throughout my life, both in nature, especially in the mountains, and in art. Everyone needs a space like that."

Then, King Harald delivered a speech in honour of his granddaughter and elicited laughs on several occasions, but he ended his words with a poignant piece of advice for Ingrid. He said: "I've told you this many times before, Ingrid, but a grandfather is allowed to repeat his most important piece of advice over and over again: Be yourself. And trust that it is enough - always."

Another speech was given by Crown Prince and Crown Princess to their daughter, Princess Ingrid Alexandra during the gala dinner.

Crown Prince Haakon:

Your Majesties
Your Royal Highnesses
President of the Storting
Prime Minister
Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
Ladies and Gentlemen

My dear Ingrid,

You have now turned 18 years, 4 months 26 days and 16 hours, and we are very glad to finally have the chance to celebrate and say a few words to you. We have looked forward to being able to mark this occasion with so many people who mean so much to you, and to us.

More people got to know you a little better in connection with your birthday in January. You gave your first interviews, had meetings with the branches of the government and received various deputations here at the Palace.

All of this has conjured up a lot of memories for me. Because I have been in the same situation as you, and I found myself contemplating myself as an 18-year-old.

Part of our preparation for everything you were going to be doing in January was to watch videos from my 18th birthday in 1991. It was hard for you to stop laughing, especially as you watched the interview I had back then with Geir Helljesen from Norwegian National Broadcasting. It was quite a few years ago now, and I was a serious young man speaking very slowly...