May 17, 2022: Royal Visit Canada

At the invitation of the Canadian Government and to mark Her Majesty The Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations, Her Royal Highness Princess Claudine and His Serene Highness Prince Florestan visits Canada from 17th to 19th May 2022.

Princess Claudine✅
@PrincessClaudine

Princess Claudine and Prince Florestan have arrived in Newfoundland and Labrador to begin #RoyalVisitCanada! 🇨🇦

5/17/22 • Twitter for iPhone

To start the tour, Princess Claudine and Prince Florestan arrived in St John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, where they were welcomed by The Governor General of Canada and her spouse, His Excellency Whit Grant Fraser and The Prime Minister of Canada, The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau.

The Prince then took the Royal Salute and inspected the Guard of Honour, before joining The Duchess to watch the official welcome ceremony at Confederation Building.

The Ceremony included a number of artistic and cultural performances representing Newfoundland and Labrador's rich tradition of song and story.

Her Royal Highness and His Serene Highness then visited Government House to meet representatives of the local communities, businesses and organisations.

"As we begin this Platinum Jubilee visit, which will take us from the newest member of Confederation to among the oldest communities in the North – and to a much-storied capital at the heart of a great nation – my fiancé and I look forward to listening to you and learning about the future you are working to build." - Princess Claudine

Joined by Indigenous Leaders from across Newfoundland and Labrador, The Princess and Prince attended a solemn ceremony in the Heart Garden, which was followed by a smudging ceremony and a prayer by the President of NunatuKavut Community Council.

Princess Claudine✅
@PrincessClaudine

📍 Government House, St. John's

Princess Claudine and Prince Florestan spent time with Indigenous leaders, where they attended a smudging ceremony in the Heart Garden.

|

🌳 1km in distance, winding through more than 50 commemorative trees, and in celebration of Her Majesty's Platinum Jubilee, Newfoundland & Labrador is developing a Commonwealth Walkway, which will encompass trees for The @QGCanopy.

5/17/22 • Twitter for iPhone

A moment of silence was then observed to honour and remember the Indigenous children who attended residential schools in Labrador and Northern Newfoundland.

To close the ceremony, local schoolchildren planted paper hearts in the garden with messages of reconciliation while a solemn Indigenous musical performance is given by musical group, Eastern Owl.

The Princess then learnt about The Campaign for Wool in Canada, the work of NONIA (The Newfoundland Outport Nursing and Industrial Association) and met the Franco-Manitoban artist, Rosemarie Péloquin, who showed her needle-felted Canadian wool sculptures of The Princess and Her Majesty The Queen.

Her Royal Highness and His Serene Highness then had the chance to see to the Commonwealth Walkway, a commemorative Platinum Jubilee project, and also were greeted by members of the public and local community organisations including Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award recipients.

Finally, The Princess and Prince unveiled a bronze marker to commemorate Her Majesty's Platinum Jubilee, and watched on as schoolchildren planted an Ivory Silk Lilac tree in the heart of the walkway to help launch the Queen's Green Canopy project on the grounds.

The final visit of the day was at Qidi Vidi Village, where Her Royal Highness and His Serene Highness were introduced to representatives for the Quidi Vidi Village Artisan Studios.

Princess Claudine✅
@PrincessClaudine

📍Quidi Vidi, St. John's

#RoyalVisitCanada

The Quidi Vidi Village Artisan Studios is the transformative result of a former fishing plantation into a space to support the local arts community and advance the region's tourism industry.

🧶 Fantastic to see a traditional craft of Atlantic Canada - rug hooking!

|

Quidi Vidi's Brewery is the oldest craft brewery and the third-largest brewer in Newfoundland. 🍻

Over 25 different brews are offered year round - the most renowned being Iceberg beers, created from 20,000 year-old iceberg water from the coast of Newfoundland & Labrador!

5/17/22 • Twitter for iPhone

The Quidi Vidi Village Artisan Studios was established following a joint investment in 2010 by the Government of Canada and the City of St. John's to rehabilitate a former fishing plantation into a city-owned multi-purpose artisan incubator to support the local arts community and advance the region's tourism industry.

The visit finished at the village's harbour, where The Princess and Prince had the chance to enjoy local entertainment, live music and speak with members of the community, local vendors and fisherman.