Chapter 17

The day that we were leaving for my aunt and uncle's home was the most stressful I'd had in a while. I spent the whole morning tugging at my fingers and hoping beyond belief that everything went okay. I'd barely been able to speak to anyone but I hoped they were too busy packing to notice.

I didn't want to give away how nervous I was. Or make the others feel uncomfortable. But that didn't stop the nerves from nearly flying right out of my chest. My biggest fear was one I hadn't expected.

Distance away from Oakford had made me realize how tightly I'd locked myself up there. I was the Tinman and Madison Falls was the oil that Dorothy poured on my rusted joints. Every day I spent here loosened me up a little bit more.

Now, I had this swirling anxiety that the second I went back to Oakford, I'd become the Tin Man again. With a sprinkle of the Cowardly Lion. There was a very good chance that my friends were about to see the old Ryan and I didn't know how to stop it. Or hold off the embarrassment that would come when they realized that in many ways, I'd been faking so much since I met them.

We all stood outside of Jackson's car which had just been packed with our overnight bags. Taking two vehicles would be more comfortable but as always Jackson had made it clear that we go together and leave together.

The backseat of my Jeep was way less comfortable for three people than Jackson's sedan so the matter was settled. Not that I really minded anyway. With everyone piled into one car, it would be loud enough for no one to notice the pounding of my heart.

Unfortunately, it was quiet as Jackson drove out toward the highway. I sipped on my latte and tried to let the warm sweet drink soothe my dry throat. Jules rested her head on the window next to me and shuffled around as though she planned to get a bit more sleep.

How she could sleep through the sound of my heartbeat on crack was beyond me.

In the front seat, Landon crossed his arms over his chest and also closed his eyes. He was so stiff in his seat though that I didn't believe he could actually be asleep—especially since I'd seen how peaceful he looked when he actually was.

"So, Ryan," Jackson said from the driver's seat, "What should we know? Any big no-no's with your family?"

"Uhmm," I hummed on his question. Years of etiquette classes had barely prepared me for Aunt Felicity's dinner parties. How could I bring them up to speed in one car ride?

"These dinners are pretty... structured," I said carefully.

Tatum snorted from his spot next to me and bumped me with his elbow. "Jules already told us they're stiffs, don't worry. If them being from Oakford hadn't been warning enough."

"That's a good way to put it," I laughed softly. "They definitely like... tradition."

Jesus. Why was it so hard to just explicitly talk about my family without beating around the bush. If I kept this up, everyone would be just as nervous as I was, which wasn't fair.

"My Uncle is really nice," I said with a smile, grateful to find something positive to focus on. "He can basically talk about anything with anyone. Aunt Felicity... she likes things to be in order and proper."

"So she'll be the one making sure we use the right cutlery with each course?" Jackson asked with a wry smile in the rearview mirror. Honestly, the fact that he already knew that each course came with its own cutlery made me feel a little better.

I shook my head slightly, "No, you're guests."

"And that means...?" Tatum asked.

"A good hostess always makes her guests feel welcome," I recited. "Basically, you guys get a pass. You can use any fork you want and Aunt Felicity will be forced by her own standards to be gracious." They might escape Aunt Felicity's high expectations but I wouldn't.