Chapter 4

I woke up on the first day of classes about two hours early. I just couldn't sleep through my excitement for what could come next. Unfortunately, freshman orientation had been mind-numbingly dull. I had hoped that I could meet people and finally have some fun but boy, had I been wrong.

It had been three hours of following Fraya around campus while she recited a well-practiced speech about the school. The mob of freshmen had hung on every word as if there would be a test after. I tried to be sneaky and start a few hushed conversations but they stared at me like I was crazy and quickly turned back to Fraya.

Note to self; orientation was apparently for the Type A's.

If there was one thing I was not, it was a Type A. Elizabeth had always dominated that personality trait. Perfect color-coded notes, attention to concise details, a drive to always be perfect; she embodied it. It's not that I didn't want to do my best, it's just that I couldn't focus every ounce of my attention on it.

I couldn't focus all of my attention on anything.

Plus, even in the chaos that was sometimes my mind, I still managed to get almost as good of grades as Elizabeth. Not to be petty but... well yeah maybe to be a little petty.

But now I actually got to go to my classes. Maybe I'd meet people who were interested in the same subjects as me. Maybe I could strike up a conversation with someone on a break. Or maybe I'd annoy everyone just like I did back home.

"Positive thoughts only," I reminded myself as I straightened my clothes in my mirror.

The extra two hours this morning had given me more time to stress out over what to wear. Clothes had never been something I had much of a choice over. I spent most of my time I in my school uniform, and my aunt always had the final say on outfits for events.

If there is one thing Aunt Felicity had drilled into me, it was that the wrong clothes at the wrong time could be detrimental. Wearing a cocktail dress to a black-tie event? Best way to tell everyone you're wife number four. Carry a heavily branded purse to a ladies' luncheon? You must be new money.

The weather had ultimately made my decision for me. Madison Falls was in the midst of a late summer heatwave and it was a doozy. There was literally nothing worse than tight clothes on a hot day. If I wore anything constricting in this heat I'd be itchy and uncomfortable by the end of the day.

So, obviously, my only choice was to free the nipples.

Just kidding.

But I did have to free the thighs with a flouncy summer dress.

The campus buzzed as I walked down to the university. Everywhere I looked students bustled to classes or hung out in clumps on the lawn. With the morning sun setting everything in a soft glow, the world just seemed happy.

I followed the path between two buildings and came out in the quad. It was fairly large, with well-kept gardens and benches that lined the walkways between buildings. I caught sight of the English department and hurried toward the stone steps that led to a heavy set of wooden doors.

The lecture hall was almost full so I took the first seat I saw near the back. I had to squint slightly to read that the scribble on the board said English Lit 101. On the plus side though, this class was three hours long and I knew that inevitably I'd get a little fidgety and distracted. Hopefully, I'd annoy fewer people being in the back.

Students shuffled around me, grabbing seats and calling out to one another. One girl slumped into the seat next to me and groaned as she stretched her arms upward. I snuck a quick peek at her as she closed her eyes and rubbed her temples. Maybe she woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.