Saving family grace

“If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavour.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

  Humna p.o.v

  " Is this some kind of a joke? " I was horrified. No one answered after what seemed like eternity. Aunt Amna's eyes met mine. There was something in her eyes , something not good for me .

  Hate ??

  But what have I done ??

  Her face contorting a mask of anger and pain " you …" she seethed out .

  " You must have given her the idea of running away, " she said, and my hand quickly reached my mouth .

  What is wrong with her 

  " You " she marched and I stepped back in fear .

  " You know where she is, tell me …. TELL ME " She shouted at my face, shaking my shoulder aggressively .

  " Amna…. What are you doing, leave her " grandpa quickly came to my aid, ripping her off from me .

  I wince touching my shoulder , her nails must have left a mark .

  With a blurry vision I walked toward her , my legs were shaking " I - I swear by Allah I have no hand in this …. I had no idea " I cried trying to prove my innocence .

  I glance at my uncle , who looks so broken and dejected that it burns my heart .

  How could Rumaisa do this….if she didn't want to marry , she shouldn't have let this day come , so that she can run away throwing all her problems on us .

  I glanced at grandpa ,  his shoulders were slumped in defeat , he looked more older than he already is…. He had such a big reputation and now our family will be laughing stock .

  " He is going to ruin us " uncle said , his body stiffened and his fist clenched .

  " Yes… he is going to ruin us …" Aunty whispered in utter shock and horrified .

  " We need this wedding to happen at any cost " my aunt stood up determined .