Chapter 6: Upwards to the Heights of Doubt

On the train...with the tourist.

Ardentus, the place where Francisca's sister is presumed to be located, was much farther than the distance between Barrenus and Vexine, so it was no surprise to us that it would have to take a little more than two days for us to get to Ardentus. I had hoped throughout the journey that this was where Cia's sister, Zan Partizanne, was present.

If not, not only would that mean that we would have to keep looking again for a different spot to search for Zan, but it would take longer than the two days that we would have to spend on the train to get to a new region. I was more concerned about the time it would take to find Zan, while the whole journey, Francisca and Flamberge were more concerned about us finding their last sister at all.

Combined with the length of time we would have to be on the train, Francisca and Flamberge had never-ending anxiety on the train ride from the start of the journey to the end when we would get to the station. I felt pretty bad for both of them, so I tried to get them to engage in something that would take their minds off their paranoia, as well as make the ride go by much quicker.

It was after breakfast that I decided to try to get them to do something to pass the time on the first day. I should also mention that Francisca presented Flamberge with a way that she had found to eat food by "cooking" it on their summoned weapons that they could summon. So that meant I didn't need to order and eat the food that any of the girls wanted to try, which was a big relief to me.

"Heyyyyy 'Cia." I greeted.

Francisca was now halfway through the book that she got from the library in Barrenus, which she was reading in increments due to her anxiety.

"Hi Zubin." Francisca responded.

"Listen," I began. "Do you wanna do something that'll take your mind off? What do you want to do here?"

"What is there to do?" Flamberge said as she broke in on the conversation. She was attempting to read a magazine she picked up as she stared at the window displaying a bright sky next to her.

"Well, I don't know. Let's look for something anyway." I answered.

"Zubin... I have checked this car to the point of looking under the seats for anything. There's nothing but... these...what...what do you call them again Franny?" Flamberge then showed the magazine she had to Francisca across the car.

"Magazines. They're called magazines Flamberge." Francisca said.

"Thanks. Anyway, yeah, nothing but these. Unless you have something like playing cards or some shit-"

"Language." Francisca interrupted.

"...or someTHING, this is all we have to work with." Flamberge finished.

"Indeed. Sorry Zubin, but this is all we have to do. Either read or wait." Francisca added.

Zubin sighed in defeat and sat down on the seat next to Francisca, who continued to attempt to read her book as Flamberge kept reading her magazine as well. While looking around, Zubin's eye was caught upon a small hatch behind their seats that looked like it crept up to the roof.

Zubin glanced at the two girls as he casually got up and walked to the hatch. It was nailed to the roof itself, so Zubin stood on the seats to reach up to it and to find out how to open it. This got the attention of Flamberge.

"Whatcha doin' Zubie?" Flamberge asked.

"Trying to get to the roof," Zubin replied.

"Oooooh. Can I come?"