Chapter 3: Leaving the Lands of Despair

Within Barrenus's Local Library...

Zubin had repeatedly scanned all the maps that he brought to the table around 5 whole times. He had come with no success in finding any viable place that could serve as a location for Francisca's sisters. He took WAY more time than he needed to find any territory without any specification on what he had been looking for. He then decided to ask Francisca, who was a quarter of the way through her book while Zubin was looking.

"You say that the big snowfield was where you died, right?"

"...Hm? Oh, yes." Francisca responded.

"So where did your other sisters die then?"

Francisca thought for a moment. It wasn't one where it was a heavy subject, it was that she just had to think for a moment.

"They passed when I did for sure, so I would assume that they are in a similar position as I was at this time. One of my sisters died...I don't remember where she said she went to, somewhere around a fire she said, and the other died in a lightning strike."

So, some places that are notable for fire and lighting storms...

Well, that narrows it down to TWO places in under a minute. That's embarrassing...

"Looks like I found the places, Fran."

"You did?" Francisca said with more energy than usual.

Francisca floated from her chair and looped around Zubin, looking over his shoulder to see the map. Zubin pointed to two places in an area that was near a patch of white. One was more maroon and the other was a more dark green space on the map.

"This right here is where we are. Barrenus. The location of isolation and snow. This right here... is Vexine. A land full of trees that can burn up at any moment, as well as a smoky atmosphere and dormant volcanoes. The other place is a storm-coated town called Ardentus."

"That must be where they are!" Exclaimed Francisca.

"Mhm. I don't know how we are going to get there though..." Zubin pondered.

"I do. During my time here I always came across a train station often when I strolled through the town. The train goes to a variety of places, including Vexine." Francisca explained.

"Great!" Zubin said. "Let's head there now then!"

Zubin and Francisca put everything back except for the map that Zubin showed Francisca, Zubin's bag, as well as the book that Francisca was currently reading. As they walked out, Zubin remembered about the librarian they came across at the front and folded and stuffed his map in his coat pocket. Francisca didn't think about the lady and casually carried the book with floating behind Zubin. Normally, a librarian would immediately have stopped Zubin and questioned why there was a floating book trailing him (as Francisca is a ghost). But with this 17-year-old tired librarian?

"Honestly, I've seen enough shit in this town." She muttered.

She then decided to take a nap on the counter.

With Francisca leading the way to the station and Zubin following with their belongings in his duffel bag, they strolled through the town's busier commercial streets while looking for topic-starting buildings. It wasn't easy with a lot of the buildings being all grey and white, with only a select few selling anything that could be considered substantial. For example, a small ice cream shop that looked popular around town.

"I always visited this place in my time here," Francisca noted. "I always saw people come in with sad faces and come out with smiles and pleasure. It was the light of this town. I wanted to try their ice cream, but you know, I wasn't able to."