~we love you~ chapter eight

August's POV

I hugged my thin sweatshirt closer to my body as another shiver wracked through me, the rain hitting my face harshly.

I've been outside for a few hours now, walking aimlessly through the busy New York City streets, at least that's where I assume I am.

I'm not sure where Mr. Brooks and his husband live but New York City is the only big place like this near my small town.

Don't you mean Mama and Daddy?

Tears spring to my eyes as my sinful brain reminds me of the past few hours before I had my freak out.

I can't believe I actually slipped. 

I messed up so bad, now they'll never want me, I just know it.

That thought doesn't stop my mind from wandering, slipping into a fuzziness that reminds me of how wonderful my time was while I was in my little space. I can't remember the last time I'd fully slipped like that or even slept for that long, having the opportunity was amazing.

Mr. Brooks was so kind and gentle. He used soft voices and any time he touched me it felt as if it was powered by warmth and love. Mr. Brooks' husband, Davide, was really nice too, just in a different way. When I was in his arms, I felt like nothing could ever touch me again, like he would protect me and take all of my worries away.

I felt safe, something I haven't felt in a really long time... or ever, really.

It doesn't matter how I felt though because there's no way they actually could have been okay with me slipping. They must think I'm such a freak now.

I'm not sure why they didn't kick me out immediately but it doesn't matter, they hate me.

I kept walking down the sidewalk as my thoughts got darker and darker, people were passing me all around but I didn't have the heart to look. I just put one foot in front of the other and tried to find a familiar surrounding so I can get home.

Hopefully I make it before the cold and the rain kills me.

I'd probably be better if it did, though.

Davide's POV

"It's alright, mi amore. We'll find him." I whispered soothingly to Nikolas who was a crying mess in the passenger seat next to me. I placed a large, warm hand on his knee and rubbed it, reminding him that I was here supporting him even though I was focusing on driving.

After August ran away a few hours ago, I grabbed our car keys as soon as possible and got Nikolas into the garage at the bottom of our apartment building. We've been driving around through the storming rain looking for August everywhere but we can't seem to find him. Nikolas is a wreck, questioning what he could've done to stop August from running away and I'm not much better.

I'm worried sick about August.

Firstly, he's in a new city that I'm not sure he's ever really been to before. He lives in a small town, he doesn't know where to go or how to find his way home. Secondly, and what I'm most worried about, it's raining and it's nearing winter in New York. He's probably freezing right now and if we don't find him tonight, I'm worried he'll be seriously hurt.