A Surprise in Chemistry

At lunch Dawn and I sit with our friends, Alex and Drake. "Hey girls, what's up?" Drake asks. "Not much just school," I say. "OMG! Midnight how can you say, 'not much' when you get to be in Chemistry for 3 classes?" Dawn says shocked. "Whoa how did you manage to have that for 3 periods?" Alex asks. "Well I'm in the actual class today and then tomorrow I TA for the last 2 hours of school," I sigh. "Well that's cool!" Drake says. "Sure..." I say. Dawn and Drake spend the rest of lunch talking about the new teacher. When the bell rings Dawn and I head to Woodshop.

     After woodshop we head to Chemistry. When we walk in there is no teacher. Dawn and I pick a table in the back by the door. I rest my head on the desk and wait for the teacher. A few minutes after the tardy bell rings I hear, "sorry i'm late, i was talking to one of the other teachers and got carried away." Dawn grabs my arm tightly and I  assume that our new teacher just walked in. I raise my head up and try to pry Dawns fingers away from my wrist. "Dawn you're hurting my arm," I whisper. "She looks down and lets go. "Sorry, but look, he's even hotter than I imagined," she says as I look up to the front of the room. I gasp but before I can say anything to Dawn he starts talking with an english accent. "Good afternoon class. I'm Mr. Alloway. Now since it's the first day of school I figured we could just go around class and everyone can tell us their name and 2 things about themselves." "Will we be able to ask you questions?" One of the cheerleaders asks. "Of course, now let's start here in the front corner and make our way back to the 2 girls by the door," he says with his english accent.

   The cheerleading captain stands up and says, "My name is Mandi George, and I like cheerleading and puppies." Then it goes on and on. When it finally gets to Dawn I've grown bored. Dawn stands up and says, "I'm Dawn Jones, I have a dog named Scruffles and I enjoy Art." Then it's my turn. I stand up and all eyes are on me. I just stare at Mr. Alloway and say, "My names Midnight Alloway, I love to run and my mom died 5 years ago." Mr. Alloway stares at me wide eyed until I sit back down. Then he says to the class, "before you ask me questions let me  tell a little background about myself. My first name is Seth. I was born here in Florida. I recently moved back to the states, but before that I lived in London for 3 years, and I'm 24 years old. Okay any questions?" Hands shoot up all over the place. One girl asks, "Are we allowed to call Seth?" "No, sorry, I want to keep things professional," He replies. Another question was "What's your favorite sport?" "Football and Rugby." It goes on for another 30 minutes until he picks on Dawn and she asks, "Are you married?" "No, but I do have a girlfriend," he says. After that no one has any questions. Mr. Alloway looks up at the clock and see's that we only have 5 minutes left of school. "Okay class you may leave early. Except Midnight, I need to talk to you," He says. I stay in my seat and Dawn asks if I want her to wait. I tell her no and she leaves with the rest of the class.

     After everyone has left Mr. Alloway shuts the door and locks it. "Why did you lock it?" I ask. "Because, even though it is the first day I have a pretty strong feeling that there will be some girls who want to flirt with me," he explains. "Okay so why did you keep me after?" I ask. "Because I wanted to see my little sister," he says coming over to give me a hug. i dodge him and say, "Well did you ever think that your little sister wouldn't want to see you?" "Oh come on Midnight. How can you be mad at me?" he says. "Seth, you just took off 10 years ago. The last time I saw you was mom's funeral. You never call or write. We had no idea where you went. Ever since mom's death dad is never home! Do you know how depressing it is to be home alone in that HUGE house? It SUCKS! Why'd you have to leave us? Why'd you have to leave me? You were my best friend! Even if we are 6 years apart, I still loved you and looked up to you. Why, Seth, Why?" By the time I'm done I'm whispering with tears running down my cheeks.  "Midnight! I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you," he says trying to hug me again. "Well it's to late for that. You hurt me the day you left home. Then made it worse when you came back for moms funeral and left again," I say. I sit in a chair and cry.

     Seth comes over and sits next to me and pulls me into his chest. I cry hard for a few minutes and he tries to comfort me. When I am all cried out I look up at him and ask, "Am I able to leave?" "I guess..." he says letting go of me. I grab my stuff and head to the door. "Um Midnight?" he asks. "What do you want?" I ask looking back at him. "I guess I'll see you Wednesday?" He asks. "No I'm your TA for 9th and 10th hour tomorrow," I say and leave.