Important talk, and a life changing event

"You are so lovely," he said, and she smiled and looked into his eyes as the song ended.

"You seemed so peaceful, with your eyes closed. What were you thinking," he asked.

"I dreamed of you and me alone together," she answered without hesitation. She saw that Uberto seemed to wince. Had she been too open in expressing how she felt? Or did Uberto suddenly seem distant for another reason? Could it be the blacksmith's daughter?

Though the music had ended, they remained standing next to each other.

"Have you had much to drink?" he asked.

What did it matter, she wondered. His question had nothing to do with anything. "Some wine, of course. Why do you ask?"

"You are different in some way and I am not sure why."

"Really? I don't know what you mean."

"And I don't know either."

Carina looked at him. She was puzzled by the strange turn in their conversation. Already the magic she felt with him was gone. She glanced toward her family at the table, and he told her it was time for him to play. They parted. Why had he said that? she wondered.

Carina returned to sit with her family. Antonia and her two children were on one side of her and Amadeo was on the other. They both gave her knowing looks after seeing her with Uberto. Carina herself was still perplexed at how Uberto's manner had suddenly seemed to change. She listened to him sing his songs of glory and valor. Then she left the hall before he finished. It was already late and she was tired and a bit disappointed.

Chapter Twenty-Five

The next day she didn't see Uberto at all, but on Sunday, the day of rest, he came to her at the afternoon dinner with his trencher laden with food. They ate together, talking about casual things and then he suggested they ride. She agreed and they set out.

It was a sunny day, crisp, with many colorful leaves still on the trees. Soon she knew where he was taking her, back to the scenic place he had shown her once before. When they reached the top of the overlook they sat down on the boulders along the edge.

"It's even more lovely now with the fall colors," said Carina.

"Would you like me to sing?"

"No. I want to talk. You were going to tell me about your trip and about King Karl and fighting the Saracens."

"I was, but you have already heard Wotano tell of it in the hall."

"I want to hear it from you. Surely your story is a little different."

"All right, I will tell you my version." He went to his horse and pulled out a pelt from his saddlebag. Returning to her he said, "Let's sit on this."

He spread it out on a large rock that would provide a backrest for them. They sat down together. Putting his arm around her he began. Carina felt warm happiness at his being close, and she listened attentively to his narration. When Uberto hesitated she turned to face him.

"Why don't you continue?"

"This part is hard for me to tell anyone, and it is something Wotano said nothing about."

Carina's interest was sparked. "You can tell me, can't you?"

"I can, but I am embarrassed."