Should she marry him? A soiree.

Chapter Fourteen

Everyone is busy nowadays with so little time, thought Carina, as she went about her business. It should have been the slack time before the harvest but there was so much to do to prepare for a siege. She looked out the window of her small workshop. Gertrude and Gina and her children had already left, and in the dusk Carina could look down and see the courtyard. It still bustled with activity. People were moving here and there, some carrying roots and other foodstuffs to fill the larders.

On the far side, men were finishing their work for the day of digging a new well. It was one of the two Giancarlo had said needed to be built to make sure there was enough water to put out fires-fires that might be started by the enemy. As Carina watched, a swarm of peasants carrying their pikes entered the gate from outside the fortress. They had been training on the other side of the wall and were now returning their weapons to the stockpile before going home.

Even in the low light she could see they were tired. Besides the things she could see, she knew much more was being done. Two that came to mind immediately were strengthening the walls and enlarging the embankment behind the stockade. Carina regretted everyone was so busy there was little time for fun. In fact, for months her father had not had evenings of entertainment in the hall.

Still looking out the window as darkness slowly fell, she thought about Uberto and wished she could see him. She missed him. He could make her laugh-either with him or at him. He could make her forget the Saracens at least for a time. She wanted to listen to his outlandish music. Tuneful melodies that spoke unrealistically of love and good times and no invaders coming in the night. She wondered if he still played anymore.

She realized she had let herself become dejected, not surprising in view of what was going on. Still, it wasn't like her. She definitely needed to do something to get her mind off the enemy. It was getting late, she didn't want to read, so she went to visit her sister-in-law.

Hearing soft knocking, Antonia asked who it was and opened the door immediately when she heard Carina's voice. A candle stood on the table providing the only light. "Come in," she said, "but speak softly. Renzo, Lucio and the baby are asleep, thank God. I'll move the towel off the chair so you can sit down."

"How is the baby?" Carina asked. "I haven't seen him for over a week."

"He is healthy and getting strong. And he nurses greedily until he falls asleep."

"I should have come sooner, but all the work with the extra weaving for the soldiers leaves me tired."

"Everyone is tired nowadays," said Antonia. "That's why Renzo is sleeping now. Not only does he spend so much time helping Tiberio train the pikemen, he also works for hours with the knights reinforcing his fighting skills.

"Can you believe Amadeo is in training as well?" asked Carina.

"I know it, though it is hard to imagine with his bad leg."

"I am terribly afraid for him. He is so proud he can ride again since Giancarlo outfitted the horses with stirrups. But if he should fall from his horse. . . ."

"I know, he is brave. Too brave I think," said Antonia. "What about you?" she asked with great import, "Have you and Giancarlo had a chance to talk since he has returned?"

"Yes, though not about what you are thinking. There are no plans. To be honest I am piqued at him."

"Come, Carina, every man has his flaws. Unless it is a major thing I wouldn't worry about it too much. Everyone knows he wants you, and you would never again find such a match."