Carina begins to hope again

Uberto quickly finished his business with Tonia, ordering new shoes for his horse's hooves. He had planned to invite her to join him as a guest for the evening in the great hall, but he didn't want to do it while Carina was there. Parting from Tonia, he walked away with Carina.

"I'm glad to see you," she said, turning toward him. "I was worried about you."

"You were? Knowing you had lost Giancarlo and your father, I thought you would be too sad to think about anyone else."

Carina sighed. They began walking together across the courtyard toward the stronghold. "I do miss them so, especially my father."

"I'm sorry. He was a great man."

"Especially to me." Tears welled up in her eyes. "But let's not talk about it. Your joining with King Karl and your triumphant battle with the Saracens must have been an incomparable experience."

"It was, but much of it was far from glorious. I have seen enough bloodshed to last for a long time."

They reached the stronghold and he opened the door for her.

"I would like to hear all about it when there is time," she said. "I am going to get ready for this evening. You will be there, won't you?"

"Yes. Renzo has asked that I play."

"I am glad."

He escorted her to her room.

"I will see you later," she said softly, almost mysteriously, as they parted and she closed the door.

Uberto's heart leapt in his breast on leaving the door to her room. She still cares for me kept going through his mind as he made his way to his own quarters. Suddenly, he felt a fullness of life he had not experienced for many weeks. He had not planned to sing any love songs that evening because his heart wasn't in it. Now, he knew he would. He completely forgot about inviting Tonia.

Although the evening festivities were the first since Tiberio's death, they were far from somber. There was too much good news for that. The defeat of the Saracens was foremost in everyone's minds. The announcement of the upcoming marriages of two of the knights was another cause for celebration. With all the knights present, as well as their wives and children, it was a lively gathering numbering over sixty people.

The lord's wine was flowing freely, and after words were spoken remembering Tiberio and Giancarlo and the others who had fallen, spirits again lifted. The children of the knights left their parents to play with their friends. Their mothers let them go. They had brought fur pelts for them to sleep on when they grew tired. Three amateur instrumentalists played the old, familiar music, not with quite the skill of Giancarlo's musicians, but with variations making the melodies lively. Light food and desserts were set out on two separate long tables to go with the weak wine that even the children drank.

After everyone had had plenty of time to get what they wanted to eat from the tables, Renzo stood up to speak. He announced the names of the knights who were to be married the following Saturday, when Father Carlo would come. Renzo invited not only the knights but their future wives to stand up.

Carina laughed as Wotano's espoused, holding her future husband's hand, turned to the right and to the left and then curtsied when she was introduced. Then Renzo told the gathering that one of the knights who had been with Karl would narrate to them the story of how the Christians had overcome the infidels at the Battle of Tours. There was a hush in the hall, except for some children who were quickly hushed, for all the adults wanted to hear the full story of what happened.

Wotano stood up and in full voice began to speak. He described the military events simply, without exaggeration. When he sat down Renzo stood up and added a few things he had learned earlier when talking to Wotano and Uberto. When he finished, the musicians again began playing. No one danced and Carina, for one, regretted the peasants had not been invited because they would not have missed the opportunity. Not only did she feel like moving to the music, she also wanted to be near Uberto. Leaving the table where she sat with her family, she walked toward the one Uberto shared with his friends and their espoused. Coco and Asara and their daughter, Mora, were also seated there.

"Hello," she said to all at the table, loud enough to be heard over the instrumentalists and the conversations in the hall. Speaking more to the women than the men she asked, "Does anyone else feel like dancing?"

"I would love to," said Natalie, looking to Wotano for his OK.

"And I," replied Heida , Guy's betrothed.

"I'm not very good at it," said Wotano to Natalie.

"It doesn't matter," said Natalie. "Just move your feet."

Natalie was already standing as was Heida. Guy and Wotano got up more slowly. They looked around at those still sitting, apparently hoping others would be coming to dance. Carina stood near Uberto, and still sitting, he took her hand. Then he also stood, and together they took a few steps to be near the others on the floor.

Carina felt a heightened sense of awareness when Uberto held her in his arms and gazed into her eyes. So much had happened in her life, and yet he was there before her, real and not a dream.

Seeing him this close, by the soft candlelight of the hall, she was struck by his handsome appearance-his hair, dark and thick, with a loose lock that fell across his forehead, his broad shoulders, his smiling eyes that seemed to look into her soul. She knew she wanted to give herself to this man-if he would still have her. He held her close, within his strong arms, and she closed her eyes, thanking God he had come back safely.

Note This is a short section-a lead in to the next one when very much is going to be happening. Thank you for your reads, votes and comments.