all the time in the world

krista

I stepped into the shower, shivering when the scolding water draped my flesh. I craned my neck up so the shower head would catch the whole of my body. I could feel it between my underarms, my breasts and thighs, and my toes. I could feel the grit coming off easily, like it was no more than air.

     It caressed my skin, as I let my fingers wander with. I could distinguish my flawless skin, no longer scarred, and remembered the fear of losing them. I may appear perfect and beautiful again, but they ran farther than the surface, they'd practically sunk their way into me; became me. I'd almost forgotten how their presence had influenced each and every one of my decisions at the time.

     For three years, the scars had controlled me, let me know what I could and could not do. Well, no more, I was a free woman now.

     So, why did I feel so hollow and strange without them?

     I'd been missing them recently, just as the amnesia part of me had been as well, but for what reason I couldn't decode.

     Maybe it was because of no other reason other than they were the oldest friend I had.

     Oh, my God. Elliot. I completely forgot about him. He's probably worried sick and going crazy out his mind. I haven't contacted him in ages, not even to tell him how furious I was.

     I'd forgotten to be angry at my best friend, because I was too busy falling in love with a vampire.

     I sounded like I belonged in a psychiatric ward.

     Mind you, it's not like my life was all that 'normal', either. I was a creature from a higher plane, sent to Earth for unknown reasons, to come to this school and make the world a better place. I wasn't alone in this, at least, there were more like me.

     Like Damon and Alec, the two immortal beings who'd accepted me and made me feel like part of their family (well, Damon did anyway). I felt guilty regarding how I treated them back at the courtyard, they'd been nothing but supportive towards my cause. I'd practically thrown it all back in their faces.

     I didn't want to think about the Leighton brothers right now, so I hurried up and got dressed. The only thing that I wanted to do was cuddle up on bed with Frost and maybe watch some terrible B-movies.

     I smiled to myself as I dressed into some of his clothes and headed out the bathroom. I couldn't wait to see his face again and remember everything there was to know about him.

     As if he'd read my mind, he was flicking through the channels on his TV. He lifted his head up to meet my eyes, grinning so genuinely it was hard to trust he was the same man I'd met just a couple of months ago.

     He got me by the bed, but we didn't lie down just yet. We just wanted to stare for a little bit longer.

     It's crazy how sure you can be about a person and your happiness, then suddenly have it all ripped from you in a singular moment.

     I mean, that's how I felt all those months ago, as I was fighting for my life against Lady and her troops. I was so sure I was going to win that I never considered saying my goodbyes or telling Frost I loved him. Now that I look back on it, I wondered what had made me so foolish in the first place. I couldn't put a finger on the reason why though; it was wasted effort.

     Brushing stray hairs away from my face, my boyfriend ached to see every part of me, hoping I would never disappear again.

     And although that made the two of us, we were very much aware we lived in a place where life could never be guaranteed.