breathe easy

krista

By the time I got back to my room, tears were forming a river of misery down my face. I wiped them, but no matter what I did, they just kept coming.

     I didn't even know why I cared. Frost was a vampire; a beast of the otherworld. He said he loved me, but I bet he didn't even know what he meant.

     Frost's an idiot.

     I'm dying, and he's stupid.

     Luckily, no one was in the room, because I got the urge to throw something. I didn't care what it was; I only knew I had to release my anger somehow.

     I mean, I'd poured my heart out to him, finally let him know the doubts that clouded my mind... and he rejected me! After telling me that the only thing he ever wants to do when I'm near is kiss me.

     The bloody guy made hot-and-cold look like a walk in the park.

     Why was I attracted to him in the first place? Because he was something superior? Because he made me feel so special?

     Whatever the reason, I couldn't pinpoint it. He was infuriating, that should've been enough to tell me that Damon was all I needed.

     To cool myself down, I opened the window by my bed. I didn't want to intrude on either Marisol or Violet's side.

     The rush of the air did the deed within seconds, so as I soaked more in, I took in the view.

     Our dorm overlooked the inner grounds, where the willow tree stood tall and strong, and the patch of grass that was only a little bit spoiled. The tree was beautiful, so old that you had to stop and stare. It held the kind of beauty that was only pure and natural, the kind that was hard to preserve.

     I couldn't believe I'd never noticed it before, even at the time when I ran away. Surely, I would've known, from one look at the spruce, that this place couldn't be as bad as I made it out to be.

     The school itself, definitely. This place was as creepy as shit, but if someone was to see just that tree, you would never think.

     My interest was piqued further, when I made out two people walking into the site. They moved slowly, as they grappled something heavy and large within their hold. It looked like it was about to topple over.

     I recognized one of them, maybe only because of her hair. I wondered what Skye was doing out there, muttering words of encouragement to her partner.

     As they moved further towards the light, the corner of the item gleamed in my eye. I squinted to make it out... but then wished I hadn't.

     Skye was carrying nothing other than a casket.

     Hyperventilating wasn't smart, I know that, but from day one of returning from the dead, the last thing I wanted to see again was one of them.

     Could Skye possibly have buried me under the willow tree?

     She snickered. I shivered at its icy tone.

     "You're terrible at this! How the hell did you manage to do it before?"

     Her accomplice failed to respond. In fact, he/she made no sound at all, not even heavy breathing, which I'm sure any human would have been doing if they were carrying a coffin around.

     "Krista's going to freak out about this, you know that, right? You are aware this could ruin every chance you have with her? Cause, believe me: this," She gestured two fingers to the deathtrap. "Not the best way to try and woo a girl."