CHAPTER 03

I simply looked at my husband's whereabouts. He was having fun while talking to friends. And maybe they just talked about joyful moments, or maybe the men made a mess. I took a deep breath, holding my phone, and continued to listen to what Tyra said.

"Are you sure about that, Tiara?" I lowered my voice so as not to look suspicious. It doesn't seemed that I was talking to someone on my phone. And it really doesn't matter.

"Hold on." I put down my phone and stood up carefully. I studied them for a while before I walked away. I looked for a relatively quiet place in the back of the house to continue talking to Tyra. I looked around before I answered again.

"I think so."

"That's the result I've seen so far." My emotions mixed together. I was worried a little. A question began to rise in my mind. I don't know. And again, I took a deep breath and let it out.

"What time are you going home?"

"Not sure. It's Saturday." The silence happened between us for a short period.

"I don't want to leave you with such confusion, but Maddy—"

Hindi natuloy ang sana'y dapat niyang sabihin nang ibinaba ko ang cellphone. Biglang lumitaw si Ford sa aking harapan, at hindi ko na inisip kung saan ito dumaan. Ang alam ko lang, nagulat ako nang makita siya. He looked at me with astonishment.

"What are you doing here?" he asked and then looked at the phone I was holding. I'm nervous.

"My student called me for something—a very important matter. It's confidential." He rested his gaze on me. I tried to ba careful with my lies. "So?"

He nodded slowly and said, "Rain wants to talk to you."

"Okay." I shoot him a smile, acting normal. "Let's go?"

Nauna siyang naglakad at sumunod naman ako sa kaniya. At sana lang walang paghihinala ang nasa kaniyang utak.

We went to the front yard. And here they were—the ladies. I smiled and greeted them with a hug, and then I went to my husband, who was sitting on the deckchair, facing Frank, his brother.
They are serious about what they are talking about. He was stunned when he noticed me standing by his side.

"Hey, Frank." He smiled and then stood up to hug me.

"You looked great today, Kamahalan."
I grin. Hindi maipagkakailang palabiro ito, pero nasanay na rin ako kung paano nila ako tratuhin. I turned my head to my husband, who was just next to me. A moment later, it stood up.

"Excuse us," he said and took my hand.

"Go ahead," he replied to him and nodded. Umalis kami patungo sa ibang bahagi kung saan medyo malayo mula sa kaniyang mga kaibigan. I saw the concern on his face.

We stopped, and he faced me. He removed his hand from mine and gave a rub to his chin, head down. Silence goes a while.

"So what do you want us to talk about?" I opened the conversation for him to know that I was here with him. He lifted his head and finally met our eyes.

"I'm worried about you," he said, almost in a whisper.

"I'm fine."

"How sure are you?"