Chapter 4: 104th Trainees Squad

5 Years later

Rain drops poured down from the night sky into a dense forest. Beneath them, the Cadets from the 104th Corps were carrying heavy bags, loaded with equipment and dead weight meant to hinder their task. 

The Instructor was riding a horse, shouting his characteristic words of encouragement when he noticed Armin lagging behind, truly exhausted. As he slowed down to his pace, he yelled specifically at him.

Keith: Arlelt! Is that too much for you?! You're the slowest here! Pick up the pace! You'd be in a titan's stomach by now!

Armin didn't even glance at the man as he returned to the pack in front of him. He focused on going faster, struggling. In the front, Reiner looked back and became aware of Armin's situation. He slowed down, some cadets looking quizzically at him, until he reached the blonde's position. Taking the bag from the struggling cadet, he subsequently explained himself.

Reiner: (Whispering) You're done for, I'll help you. Focus on reaching the camp alive.

Armin glanced at him for some time, panting while considering his answer.

Armin: But if you do that, you'll fail the training...

An awkward pause ensued, Armin feeling worse by the moment while Reiner said nothing.

Armin: Reiner, as weak as I may be, I can't let this burden you or anyone. Give me that!

The Instructor noticed the exchange but didn't take action, and he was pleased to see the smaller of the two take his bag from Reiner's shoulders with newfound motivation, joining the pack in the front. 

Keith: Armin Arlelt. In a fair fight he wouldn't beat a single one of the cadets, but there's close to none he couldn't outsmart. When he finds his setting he could become a prominent strategist with ease.

The man now observed Reiner, who once again joined the front of the pack.

Keith: As for Braun, he excels physically and academically. Every single one of his comrades counts on him. However, when the roles are switched, it is difficult for him to express his needs.

The group kept on their march alongside the horse and its rider, who resumed his motivational words. The hours passed and they eventually reached the ODM training camp, where the Instructor explained they would train later in the day. The already tired trainees grunted a bit among themselves, this being an intensity of an excercise they seldom had to experience.