Chapter 18

"Why isn't he getting better?" Sirius asked his brother. 

Regulus switched between visiting Sirius and visiting Remus throughout the day. If Regulus wasn't with Remus then James or Lily was. Sirius insisted he never be alone in case he woke. It didn't matter for much longer though because it was finally the day Sirius was being discharged. 

"They don't know, Sirius," Regulus told him, "They think it's psychological. He's healthy now and fully recovered from surgery. He's completely off support other than nutrition." 

Sirius sighed, "So we just wait for him to go to therapy while in a coma?"

"Sirius-"

"Whatever then we'll wait," Sirius cut him off. 

Regulus sighed, "Sirius. I can only keep using our mother's money to pay the medical bill for so long." 

"What are you suggesting?" 

"Sirius-"

Sirius shook his head, "We can't give up, Regulus."

Regulus grabbed his brother's hand, "I'm not suggesting we give up. I'm suggesting we consider the options." 

"I wanna see him." 

"I finished the paperwork. Your clothes are over there." 

Sirius thanked his brother and then Regulus left to give him privacy. The older brother got up and went to the bathroom to get changed. He cleaned his face with water, brushed his teeth with a disposable toothbrush, and then brushed his hair. A nurse came in and made sure he was good to go then let him go. Sirius didn't run out of the room per se but he did lightly jog to Remus' room. 

As expected, Sirius was met with Remus' sleeping form. He looked almost peaceful. There weren't many machines attached to him anymore. Regulus was right, Remus had fully recovered physically. Sirius went to the chair next to the bed, next to Regulus. He sat down and grabbed Remus's hand. 

"I'm going to go find James." 

Sirius nodded, happy for a moment alone with Remus again. He felt his eyes water but Sirius swallowed hard. Lifting his boyfriend's hand to his lips, Sirius kissed Remus' hand. 

"Remus," Sirius whispered and then again louder, "Remus. It's time to wake up. You have to wake up. If you don't then we have no more choices. Please, Remus."

Sirius didn't really know what he was expecting. Maybe nothing. He never got a reaction before. This time, however, Remus' hand twitched in his own. Sirius looked down at Remus' hand. 

"Remus?" 

Again, a slight movement of his finger. Sirius shot out of his seat and bolted down the hallway till he found Remus' doctor. 

"Mr. Black-" 

"What would it mean if Remus' hand twitched?" 

"What do you mean?"

Sirius was frustrated, "His hand, his finger, it twitched. It moved twice. What does that mean?" 

The doctor thought for a moment, "It could mean there is brain activity. We'll try to see if he reacts to stimuli again. There is no guarantee it means he'll wake up. Patients often twitch in their sleep."

Sirius nodded but the hope was already there. He thanked the doctor and went back to the room. Regulus was there with a bag of food. 

"Hey, where did you go?" Regulus asked. 

"Reg, Remus moved. Twice. They're gonna do stimuli checks." 

"That...That's good, Sirius. That's progress," Regulus said happily while hugging his brother.