Chapter 17

So I don't know if any of the medical stuff happening is accurate but it's convenient for the plot. So I apologize if it's not accurate.

Sirius forced himself to stay awake while waiting for news on Remus. Periodically someone would come to let them know anything. Hours passed and James tried to get him to sleep or even eat but Sirius couldn't do anything but bounce his leg and wring his hands. 

"Remus Lupin?" A doctor called into the waiting room and had Sirius never gotten up quicker before. "I want to start with that he's okay. The surgery was successful." 

Sirius could've collapsed to the ground and cried, "Can I see him?" 

The doctor sighed, "He's still not entirely recovered and though he was able to wake up, he fell into a coma quickly after." 

Sirius felt James' hand squeeze his shoulder. 

"W-What does that mean for him?" 

"It means that we don't know when he'll wake up or if he'll wake up." 

Sirius turned into James who quickly put his arms around him. 

"Thank you, doctor," James said for Sirius. 

"You may see him whenever you are ready to." 

Sirius pulled away from James and immediately followed after the doctor who showed him where Remus lay. He looked almost peaceful laying in the hospital bed but tubes ran out of his body and wires were attached to him. Sirius sniffled and walked over to him, sitting in the chair next to the bed. 

James came in too, sitting next to him while keeping a hand on his shoulder. 

"I called Lily, she's on her way." 

Sirius only nodded. 

"I'll call Regulus in the morning." 

He nodded again. 

"He'll be okay, Sirius." 

"Don't say that." Sirius looked up at Remus. "You don't know if it's true." 

They stayed in silence for about half an hour before Lily came rushing in. Harry was in her arms and she looked like she just woke up. James got up in an instant, taking Harry into his arms while also letting Lily take his seat. Lily comforted Sirius immediately but Sirius couldn't bring himself to lean into her arms or say anything in response. 

When visiting hours ended, it was obvious that Sirius was going to stay with Remus. James and Lily hugged him before going back to Lily's apartment. Sirius didn't let himself sleep. When lights were dimmed and it was silent except for the beeping of monitors Sirius finally reached out for Remus' cold hand. 

He grasped it gently and brought it to his lips, kissing the back of it. 

"Remus, I'm so sorry," Sirius whispered into his hand. 

~~~~

Morning came and James groaned awake. Lily's couch was not the best sleeping arrangement but leaving any of his friends alone sounded like an awful idea at the moment. Lily had made a small breakfast for them both and they ate in silence until James excused himself to make a phone call. Not giving himself to wonder whether or not he should call, James clicked on Regulus' contact and prayed he didn't change his number. 

It rang three times before the sound of Regulus' voice came through. 

"Sirius, what do you need?" 

James assumed he didn't check the contact name.