Chapter 9: "I Go Where My Mate Goes"

The after-moon party was bigger than ever.

Shifters from the pack and more guests from the South had joined to celebrate the potential union of Connor and Nancy. The Alpha hadn't said that this was the occasion officially, but Connor knew his father hoped. The only reason he didn't stop it was the fact that their packs would soon be joined, everything be damned.

Jamie had been elusive, mostly avoiding Connor, even at work, where he'd taken to shadow Sara instead, but Connor didn't have it in him to be mad at his mate, since he'd messed up at the full moon. His wolf had been brash, which had caused Jamie to worry, which is not what Connor wanted. He promised himself he'd be more discreet from now on.

For his beautiful mate's sake.

On the night of the party, everyone was dressed in earth tones, celebrating their collective heritage. Even though they were from two different sides of the country, they were all children of nature, all shifters with primal needs and ancient magic. Connor himself wore a red-gold uniform that contained a white shirt and a red robe. He wasn't crazy about wearing such clothes, but he was required to do so on special occasions.

He swept his gaze through the guests, but there was no Jamie. At least not yet. Nancy, on the other hand, smiled as she approached him. She wore a beautiful blue dress that accentuated her body. Her hair was perfectly styled to the side. Such a perfect mate... for somebody, not Connor.

He smiled politely. "Hey, Nancy."

"Hey you," she said cheekily. "Do you want to dance?"

"I'm not a great dancer. Do you mind if we just talked instead?"

She nodded, weaving her hand through his arm, signaling to all the others they were engaged. Connor winced, but didn't stop her.

"I have to say I was surprised by your gesture."

Connor looked at her twinkling eyes. "What gesture?"

"The doe. It was delicious."

Hearing that his present had been eaten by someone else, not Jamie, had Connor's wolf growl at poor Nancy, whose eyes widened. Quickly recovering, Connor said, "Sorry, but that wasn't from me."

She frowned. "I know it was. It smelled of you."

Oh for the love of... "I don't want you to get the wrong idea, Nancy."

"And what idea is that?"

If he told her the truth, would he ruin all chances he had with Jamie? He needed more time and he couldn't just out and say it. Damn it, Connor really wanted to speak the truth, but he held his tongue.

"I'm sorry, Nancy, I'm still not sure."

She bit her lip, her face falling. "Oh, I see. I'm sorry, I was mistaken."

The hurt on her face did something to Connor. He felt so bad that he held her hand tight, not letting her escape. "Please don't think it has anything to do with you, Nancy. Really, it doesn't."

She jutted her chin up. "Then what's the problem?"

"I can't say, I'm sorry."

Nancy looked away and into the crowds. "So you're saying this party is a lie then? These people are celebrating something that will never happen?"

"No, I'm saying... I can't explain it."

She nodded, then looked into his face. "Can I have at least one dance?"

Feeling bad about deceiving her, he agreed to two.

Everyone seemed to be happy, seeing the two dancing and smiling, as it should have been. The Alpha laughed rancorously, and even Miles enjoyed himself. Connor's friends gave him stupid winks and smirks, but it was all a pretense, a lie, just like Nancy had said. The only person Connor wanted to see that night was Jamie, and he was–