Chapter 3: "This Is My Youngest"

By the time dinner started, Connor felt exhausted. He didn't just have to work at the family's wine import business, but he also had to meet with the Guard's Lieutenant and talk about Perimeter assignments, not to mention the food shortages in the village and trying to figure out why the summer harvest hadn't been as fruitful as other years.

So now all he wanted was to relax and eat in his room, but the Flicks were still here, and as guests, they required the company of the Alpha and his family.

Mia had just come back from boarding school for the summer and she made sure to jump on Connor's back and twist herself like a monkey around his neck.

"Agh, an invasion," he yelled as she laughed.

"What did you buy me?" she asked seriously.

"You're supposed to bring me something, gnat."

She swatted him on the shoulder, all unladylike, apparently the boarding school had not taught her 'manners', and she said, "Don't call me that. As for your present, it's virgin blood. Do you want it now or later?"

"Just give it to Cook Sherry, she knows what to do."

She giggled and jumped back on the floor. "Done. What about mine?"

"Maybe this time there's no present for the wicked."

"Maybe you are full of shit."

Connor shushed her. "Don't let father hear you."

She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. "Yeah yeah, so what did I miss while I was away?"

Miguel ruffled her hair, coming out of the shadows. "Your brother's courting the most beautiful woman in all the lands, as his future mate."

"Eww, gross," Mia said. "What about your true mate?"

"That's why you're my favorite," Connor said and kissed her hand. "Ignore these fools, I'm not courting anyone, we just have guests from the South."

"Oooh, did they bring presents?" Mia asked, but then went quiet when she saw their father at the head of the table, and the guests who now stood to greet the newcomers. Her eyes went wide when she saw Nancy. "Wow, Miguel wasn't kidding."

"Late as always, son," the Alpha scolded.

"Hello, father," Mia said and then plopped on her chair without so much a curtsy. "And welcome, new people."

The Alpha sighed. "You must excuse my youngest. She's receiving the best education, and yet, it seems to have gone to waste." He said it with a smile because he is powerless when it comes to Mia. "Can you at least sit straight and tie your hair back, Daughter Mine?"

Mia shrugged, but only sat up straight. Her hair was so long and curly that it always stuck to her food, but she didn't care.

"I love your hair," Nancy said, eliciting a smile from Mia.

"I love your everything," Mia said back.

Nancy laughed. "Thanks."

Meanwhile, Connor had been turning this way and that, sniffing the air, because there was a strange new smell in the air tonight. He looked around to see where it came from, but it was strangely faint in the room, as though someone carried it there. He discreetly sniffed his guests, and true enough, Nancy and her father had some on them. Mystified and desperate to find the source, Connor scoffed.

Nancy put her hand over his gently. "You all right, Connor?"

He focused on her sincere face. "Yeah, sure, I just..."