Chapter 5: Tell me all about James

The sun shone down brightly on our heads as we stepped out of the school building. The weather had a mind of its own in this city. It was still technically winter but today it felt like the beginning of spring. I observed James with every step he took and every movement he made. I had to know more about him. This was quite an unusual action of mine also, to actually branch out and want to get to know someone before they get to know me. I turned to James, “so what do your parents do for a living?” I asked. I hoped that wasn’t too personal of a question. Dummy! Why did you say that? He’s going to think you’re too nosy or that you’re going to be obsessed with him. I felt my cheeks flush a little. “My dad is an ER doctor and my mom is a photographer. She’s always looking for all sorts of unique things to be adding to her portfolio. If there’s any chance that she is actually home right now, don’t get scared if she suddenly snaps a photo of you. She does that to practically every guest that comes over. Photography is her life.” James smiled and slipped his hands into his pockets. Why did I find that small gesture to be…cute? “That sounds really nice,” I say, flashing a small smile. “So what about your parents?” asked James.

  Oh God. That dreaded question. I should have known this was bound to happen. Stupid, look what you’ve done! Now you have to talk about….your family. Your dysfunctional family. My mind scrambled for the right words to describe my family. “Well, my mother is a stay-at-home mom and my dad is a dental assistant,” I say, hoping he wouldn’t ask any further questions. “That’s cool. We’re almost at my house, just go straight a little further,” said James, pointing ahead. I was so engaged in our conversation that I barely paid any attention to where we were going, we were already at house practically. After walking one more block, we have reached his house. It was so beautiful. A two-story house painted white with a mosaic-like glass door in the front. “Your house is beautiful,” I say, straining my neck to get an even better view of the house. “Thank you, but it’s really nothing special. At least on the inside it isn’t.” James shrugged and walked up to the front door and began rifling through his pockets for his house keys.

  What did he mean not on the inside? The inside must look even better. I could almost picture shined oak hardwood floors or soft plush carpeting in all of the rooms. Perhaps paintings and framed family photos plastered certain walls of the house. “Alright, welcome to my house. Ladies first, right?” James smiled and held the door open for me. “Thanks,” I say, beginning to step foot into the house. My jaw nearly dropped just a mere few seconds before my foot even finished completing my second step into the house. The living room was a nightmare.

  There were clothes thrown everywhere, teenage boy clothes, mainly. An empty pizza box and various snack food wrappers covered the small table in front of the couch. Various medical, or perhaps dental, textbooks were laid out on the couch, as if someone was studying them. “Well this is- “Disgusting, I know. I’m so sorry I didn’t clean up before I brought you over. See, both my parents work very late and I’m alone at home most of the time therefore I must seek out food for myself. A pizza and a cupcake seemed to provide me with enough sugars and calcium last night.” James put his hand behind his head and grinned slightly. I could see his cheeks blush slightly. He shouldn’t be so ashamed, my room resembles his living room practically.

  "I understand, I like to pig out on things when I'm home alone too. I don't really care too much about eating healthy when nobody's around." I look away from him sheepishly after uttering that last sentence. Why did I just say that? What if he thinks that's an unattractive trait in a girl? Wait, why am I worrying about being attractive to him? Damn it Claire, you know what happens when you develop feelings for someone. The feelings slowly start to wrap their little arms around you and begin to gnaw at your heart and mind. You don't want to go through that again, do you? "Claire?" asked James, waving his hand in front of my face.