chapter three

the gilmore girls sat in luke's before rory and victoria went to school

the gilmore girls sat in luke's before rory and victoria went to school. dinner a few days prior had been eventful, with emily and richard gilmore arguing, publically. something that had sustained lorelai for days. she was still glowing from it.

victoria sipped her coffee, watching rory basically fall off her chair as she watched their mother read her homework.

"it sucks. i know it sucks, just tell me it sucks," rory rambled. 

"it's great," lorelai assured. 

"not it's not."

"it's an a."

"don't lie," rory pleaded. 

"a-plus."

"you're my mom," she pointed. 

"is anything higher than an a-plus?"

victoria watched their back and forth. 

"you have to say that."

"it's an a-plus with a crown and a wand," lorelai quipped. 

"and a pegasus to ride on," victoria piped up. 

rory took the paper back, "this is not how you raise a child. you don't send them out there with a false sense of pride because out there, in the real world, no one will coddle you. i'd rather know right now if i'm gonna be working at cnn or carrying a basket around it's offices with sandwiches in it."

victoria placed her coffee down, "rory. i read it yesterday and told you the same thing. it's great."

"really?" rory asked, perking up slightly. 

"really really."

lorelai nodded in agreement. 

"thank you."

luke walked over, refilling their mugs, "coffee and coffee. okay, what do you want? eggs, toast, combo?"

"what's the rush, zippy?" lorelai asked. 

"i'm just swamped this morning. i was supposed to have help but i don't. so order right now or i'm bringing the three of you an egg white omelet with a side of steamed spinach," he threatened. 

"pancakes," lorelai ordered. 

"same here. oh with extra syrup and chocolate chips. and ice cream," victoria spoke.

"it's the morning," he sighed. 

"and?"

"you can't have ice cream for breakfast," he tried. 

she stared at him, "says who?"

"fine. ice cream it is. have fun dying young," he sighed. 

victoria smiled, "i will, thanks."

"french toast," rory interrupted. 

luke turned to the doorway leading to his apartment, jess having entered, "jess, you were supposed to be down here," luke started, his eyes falling on his outfit. "what the hell is that?"