Everyday, same time, same thing...

I should have realized that avoiding Luke would be hard, but I never expected it to be like this.

He was literally everywhere I went! Asking me questions, trying to get me to show him my arms again.

“Claire please!” He shouted as he ran after me at the end of the day. “Just give me some sort of an explanation so I don’t have to worry the rest of the day!”

But I couldn’t do that. There was not a good enough explanation for the bruises and cuts on my arms. There was no way that he would believe any excuse that I gave him, no matter how much he wanted to believe it.

“Luke, will you please just leave me alone!” I shouted at him. We were on our way home and sadly, his house was just down the street from the orphanage.

“Just tell me this, does it have to do with what I saw earlier?” he said, looking at me. Pleading.

“Luke, I wish I could tell you, I really do, but I can’t.”

“Why not!” he yelled, grabbing my arm.

I hissed at the pain and my breaths drew quicker. He realized the pain and loosened his grip until it was like he wasn’t touching me at all. I took the chance to rip my arm from his hold and run down the street. Flying through the front door, I nearly tackled Mitch.

“Sorry babe!” I said, as I reached down to hoist him up on my hip.

“Welcome home Claire!” he shouted into my ear.

I smiled and said, “Good to be home Mitch.”

Most of the kids got home before I did. The elementary kids got dropped off by a bus and the middle school kids walked home with their friends as there was a shorter walk between their and here than the High school. 

“Claire!” I heard a shout come from the living room.

I quickly put Mitch down and whispered “It will be alright, just go up to your room, cover your ears, and sit in your closet like you always do. Sophie should already be up there.”

I hugged him tight and let him run up the stairs as I walked quickly into the room.

Ms. Denerson was sitting in her recliner, feet up, with an empty glass of wine in her hand.

“Are you going to take the kids today?” She asked, setting the glass on the table and standing up.

“Do you even have to ask?” I said as I braced myself for the beginning.

“MIND YOUR MANNERS!” she shouted as the first slap came. Then came the second, third, fourth, and by the fifth I was on the floor.

Then came the kicks. She kicked me roughly in the stomach until I spat up blood, then stomped on my hand with her high stilettos.

It’s almost done! Just bare with it for a little longer! My mind shouted at me. But to be honest, I wasn’t sure how long I was going to last. It actually wasn’t even half-way done. There was still punches, and some more kicks and slaps to come.

When it was done, I couldn’t move. Ms. Denerson had gone out for another drink and hopefully wouldn’t be back in till we had left the next morning.

Sophie and Mitch were trying to help me up but in the end it was useless, she was harder on me today. So they ended up getting a few blankets from upstairs and sleeping down there with me.

Thankfully, it was a little better when I woke up in the morning so I could still drive the kids to school, though I didn’t even try to go. All the violence and such in the hallways would not be the safest place for me to be in at the moment. Plus the whole thing with Luke…

So I decide to skip today, and spend my time with my guitar and a pond.

Kurt’s POV

Ugh, another day at school. Just what I needed.

“Hey Kurt!” I heard someone yell from the other end of the hall.

I turned around to see Brenda jogging over to me.

“Hey.” I said blankly, trying to open up my locker. I still hadn’t gotten used to the combination yet so this has been my…5 try, trying to open it up.

“Let me help!” she said and pushed me out of the way. “What’s your combo?”

“32, 6, 12”

The lock clicked and she swung my locker open…to have it slam into my face.

“Ow.”

“I’m so sorry!” she said. “Let me take you to the nurses office! Oh, gosh now look! Your nose has started bleeding!”

So the only I could do was let her drag me off to the nurses office.

“Brenda, it’s fine now. It stopped about five minutes ago!”

“I just want to check to make sure! Plus, they are letting my get out of first period for this so just bare with it for about another ten minutes.”

“I knew you had some other motive for dong this.”

She grinned and sat down next to me. Apparently, there isn’t a nurse in this school! Which means that kids come in here themselves and from what I’ve heard, sometimes they do some…nasty things…

“Where’s Claire?” I asked curiously, “Seems like she is always around you and then today I haven’t seen her at all.”

“Um, she uh, well, she’s just not feeling the best today so told her that she should stay at home and rest.” She explained hesitantly.

“Oh, ok. Well tell her that I hope she feels better soon.”

She stared at me for a while questionably, then nodded and left the room.

I stayed for a while, pondering.

I think I’ll skip today. I thought to myself, and then jumped out the window. Landing on the soft grass, I made my way to a little pond I found on my first day here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys! here's a pic of some stiletto heels that I found. Imagine what it feels like to be stepped on by one of those multiple times every day!