Let the Good Times Begin (Part 2)

Loid still couldn't believe that leering, overweight idiot from the pier had dared go to the police to file charges against him! A broken nose? That was the least he deserved for his crudeness!

Yor's unexpected appearance in his office had saved him from a tedious lecture. Not that it was in the least difficult for WISE to resolve such issues efficiently - but Sylvia had come to give him a hard time about it, even infiltrating the police (nota bene one of her favorite past times) so she could pay him an official visit. It made his life easier that after meeting Yor, the Handler seemed to agree that decking that rude man had been the right thing to do.

Case closed, and an otherwise dreary day massively improved: Yor had come to see him! He had missed talking to her in the last few days, they were both much too busy for their own good.

Once they had distributed the overabundance of pastry to the delighted nurses, assistants, and receptionists, they exited the hospital into the pleasant warmth of the afternoon. Feeling a rare sense of delight, Loid righted his hat and offered Yor his arm. A reflex, it was something a gentleman did when walking next to a woman - but she looked surprised, like nobody had ever offered her his arm before and like she didn't quite know what to do.

Or like she didn't want to walk this close to him?!

But before Loid could shrink away in mortification, Yor hooked her arm through his after a quick look at the other couples in the street for clues. Her glove came to rest lightly on his upper arm, the green and the pastel yellow striking him as a particularly harmonious color combination. Did they look as good to other people as he thought they did when he caught a glimpse of them in a shop window?

She smiled up at him and the realization that they were on a kind of date together hit him out of the blue, instantly upsetting his stomach.

That he hadn't planned this little outing only added to his anxiety. Not that Twilight didn't know how to improvise but he much preferred to think through every eventuality before choosing the superior option.

His brain going into overdrive, he instantly dismissed the coffee shop across the street as an option - good coffee, nice staff, but much too close to the hospital. The weather was so pleasant, the fluffy white clouds in the sky so pretty, it would simply be a waste not to walk around longer with Yor on his arm! Remembering her delight over the measly soap, he decided to buy her something she really liked. Women, he had learned from previous assignments, fancied hats, shoes, and bags. And of course: Jewelry! He would like to give Yor a necklace with a pretty pendant, something to remind her of him when they weren't at home together. And earrings. And maybe a bracelet too?

Then again, just last week, Sylvia had scolded him for his high expenses again (repairing his special watch had cost a small fortune), but she also liked to get in his hair, trying to rile him up to test his fortitude at every possible moment. Why else give Yor a bathing suit that made her look naked? Nothing that WISE did was a coincidence.

"Where are we going?" Yor's friendly, adoring face was so close.

"This way," Loid stammered. Thinking of Yor in that bathing suit was a hard no. She looked so delightful today: She had changed out of her office garb and was wearing a dark blue dress with big white dots that twirled around her when she turned. It was exceedingly pretty. He fretted for a while about complimenting her but wasn't quite sure when the best moment for that was.

"Would you like this?" He asked when they passed some shops and she turned her head to look at the display. Belatedly realizing it was a knife-shop, Loid did a double take. God forbid, did she want to try cooking again?

"Ahahaha, no, no," Yor laughed, sounding a little embarrassed, "what would I need knives for?"

They passed a jewelry store and Loid took notice of which items Yor looked at the longest: The pointy, spiky designs, apparently. Satisfied with his information gathering skills, he decided to go back and buy it for her the next day because the surprise would be bigger.