Let the Good Times Begin (Part 1)

"Yes, you heard right, I'm his wife!" Yor smiled at the surprised hospital receptionist, hoping the elegantly coiffed and perfectly manicured woman in the immaculate white blouse wouldn't notice how nervous she was. "He is expecting me!"

That was a lie. Loid knew nothing about her visit and now that she was standing in the large entrance hall that smelled of disinfectant and linoleum, she was fast losing confidence that her colleagues were right about the benefits of spontaneously appearing at your partner's workplace ("to check whether he is well and to remind him how much you care about him", they had said, as always insinuating things - nudge-nudge-wink-wink - she didn't quite understand). What if Loid had no time? What if she annoyed or inconvenienced him!?

Nervously clenching her fists around the straps of her bulbous handbag, she waited for the receptionist to make the phone call to announce her arrival.

"Nobody is picking up," the woman frowned after several attempts. "You may as well just go up! It's on the fifth floor."

"Thank you!" 

"No problem," the receptionist smiled back. "It is a pleasure to see that our all-favorite Dr. Forger has such a pretty, friendly wife!"

Feeling pleasantly flustered after the compliment, Yor took the elevator up to the fifth floor and followed the signs in the corridor to the "psychiatric ward". Aware of how dangerous her husband's patients could get, she walked with caution and looked at everybody who crossed her path very carefully. Though several people showed signs of a psychosis, luckily no one attempted to attack her.

After reaching her destination, Yor was surprised to find the waiting area and the reception desk deserted. That woman called Fiona Frost - whom she rudely called "that woman" in her head because she just couldn't get herself to be even an inch politer - was nowhere to be seen either.

Maybe because she was in Loid's office with him.

Yor's mood instantly soured. She had been warned. Maybe she was just way too naive.

After their return from the beach two days ago - all of them with minor sunburns and lots of sand in their hair and shoes - she had barely been able to speak to Loid, their respective busy schedules preventing them from exchanging more than hasty polite greetings.

This was part of the reason she was here. She missed him.

The three hours they had spent together at the beach had started a new chapter between them. He had been very nice to her, even nicer than before, and for the first time since getting married, she was certain he truly appreciated her company. On the way back on the train, Anya had fallen asleep on his lap while they had sat in companionable, comfortable silence. Though Yor had hoped he would hold her hand again, she had accepted he needed one of them to hold Anya and the other to scratch Bond's ears, who kept pressing his snout against his legs, demanding affection. Sadly, humans didn't do that.

"Thank you for today," Loid had said after putting Anya to bed and before entering his own bedroom. His slightly tanned face had been full of warmth.

Loid's office was clearly indicated by his name on the door. Not missing a second, Yor pressed her ear against the wood. From behind it, the low murmur of voices. At least one of them: Female. Feeling an instant flash of anger, Yor knocked briskly and opened the door without waiting for an invitation to enter.

The other reason she was here was a feeling of unease she just could not shake.

Fiona Frost and her cold, angry eyes were to blame. That look of shock and rejection in them when Yor had talked about Loid's bruises. The nagging feeling that there was something between that woman and Loid she didn't quite understand.